George Foushee - John Fooshee 1791-1842 ---and wife--- Jane Fooshee 1786-1862

Started by Melissa Degon on Sunday, July 18, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Source: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/111223964/person/120084856938
    Geni member
7/18/2021 at 8:40 PM

I apologise for posting this everywhere--- should've included my email too: mldnance@gmail.com

John Fooshee 1791-1842
Jane Fooshee 1786-1862

I sent an email to the person who added John, but I'm posting this here too. I am not family (that I know of) but I'm looking for relatives and info. I live in a small, rural community in what is now Lee County, NC (previously Chatham Co). John and his wife Jane are buried here in a tiny cemetery on land that is now slated for high-density, urban development.

I am NOT affiliated with the owners/developers of the land or the local government officials who support them. I am a 4th generation resident of this river-side community (in long-ago coal mining territory) who is trying to fight the abuse of "our" land. We don't have access/permission to the large tracts these developers own, so I don't know the current status of the graves.

As a child, I thought there were "several" graves on that tiny hill--- but a cemetery census from 1984 (possibly incomplete and apparently the only survey--- multiple sites reference it) only indicates the two graves. My understanding 30+ years ago (I'm 47) was that these people didn't have any local family- no one that "claimed" them as ancestors. I believed then--- I'm not sure if it was true or not--- that their graves had already been relocated years earlier, when Hwy 421 was realigned. (A section of the old highway route is on this particular tract of land.)

Please let me know if these people belong to you, or if you know of their people. I will try, in the meantime, to find out what the status of their tiny hill is. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Oh--- and I couldn't view any documents--- maybe because I'm not a real member. But I assume this is the right family. John Gabriel's parents are listed on this site as Joseph (1755-1820) and Happy (1754-1824). Prior to what I found here, I only had the info on their stones--- their names, birth year, death dates (John 3/1/1842, and Jane 9/20/1862), and that they were husband and wife.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion