Joseph Garrett Parsons, Sr. - Joseph Garrett Parsons Sr. My GGGG Grandfather

Started by Harold Parsons on Monday, July 19, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts

There is so much misinformation here that I wanted to correct some. Ive researched the life of Joseph for over 12 years. I have a web site with much information and written a book on the "Life and Times of Joseph Garrett Parsons Sr." From a Genealogy stand point much of the confusion is from researchers not realizing that there were at least 9 different Joseph Parsons in South Carolina during the same time period that Joseph Garrett Parsons Sr. lived. Researchers have mingled these and have created a mess. I spent a very long time separating all of these in my book.
There is no historical documentation of Joseph outside of Laurens County S.C. Those who list his parents are only guessing. He may have journeyed with the Garretts on a wagon train from Virginia to Anson County N.C. where he met the Goolsby. Later marrying Alcey Gooslby there or perhaps in Laurens Cty. S.C. In 1767 the Goolsby moved to Laurens Cty. where they had received 550 acres of land as a grant from King George. In 1768 according to land documents Joseph and Alcey received 100 acres of this property from the Goolsby. (I have the documents). But there is a possibility that Joseph was already in the area of the ninety six district (later Laurens Cty.) as early as 1760. There is a Joseph Parsons in a British pay document for leading Col. Powell's Battalion as a scout and receiving 1 lb 11 shillings. Regardless they married about 1763-65. This is based on the age of their oldest son.
During the American Revolution Joseph was a Tory. There is no doubt about this. ...his son in law, William Owings the husband of Elizabeth Parsons (Joseph's daughter) in his will that is in the Laurens Cty. Library says that his wife was the sister of Capt. Sam Parsons a Captain in the war of 1812 and father was Joseph Parsons, a Captain in a company of Tories during the American Revolution. I have a British pay abstract for a Captain Joseph Persons who served in the ninety six district. I believe its my gggg grandfather. Persons was a common spelling of Parsons. Joseph could not write and different spellings were common. (All of his land witness documents he used a mark "J"). Those that say he received a grant for serving as a Patriot are confused. The grant they refer to is dated 1767....eight years before the revolution began. The grants date and description is that of 550 acres granted to the Goolsby not Joseph Parsons of which Joseph received 100 acres from the Goolsby.
On my web site I have many articles and documentation on his life. If your interested in Joseph Garrett Parsons Sr. please go there and read. Thanks for your time in reading this. https://sites.google.com/site/parsonsjeffersoncounty

The FTDna may have to solve the parentage via ydna from a direct male descendant.

I have Martha Ludelia “Dink” Howton as his grand daughter.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion