Francis Johnson - Found a document in Essex Court probate that Ruth Johnson Sergeant Barry and nephew Thomas Wardon Jr signed in 1717!!

Started by Penny Kresl on Thursday, July 22, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
7/22/2021 at 11:31 AM

Not sure but this may prove Francis Johnson Jr made it back from the Indian attacks to Marblehead as his executors of his estate were listed and signed. I recognized Ruth Barry(My 7th great and her nephew and Francis Johnson's older son from his daughter Mary. The Probate (or what ever I can make out in fact(it is very illegible) He must have died in Marblehead sometime around 1717. or that could perhaps be when they got around to settling his estate etc. There is also a signature, I don't recognize and illegible, and also one Richard Johnson/Jonson? Far as I know, no Richard Johnson's in this Francis Sr line but he could also be another relative. Any one have an idea who RICHARD JOHNSON MAY BE IN RELATIONSHIP to FRANCIS JOHNSON Jr?, or SR. ?

7/22/2021 at 11:56 AM

@Penny Kresl This was listed as a Bond of Administration, and Ruth Sergeant Barry, Widow of Thomas Sergeant and John Barry. She signs it Ruth Barry, both she and Thomas Wardon of Boston.

10/10/2021 at 11:52 AM

@How on earth would I be able to ever find a marriage of this Francis Johnson JR who married and to find the mother to Ruth Johnson-Sergeant Barry, and Mary Warden/Wardon, wife of Thomas Wardon?. I have no idea why records in Scituate either, had Thomas Wardon being m. to a Elizabeth Sergeant, when GDM& NH have Thomas Warden as being married to Mary Johnson, Ruth's sister 1st. in records? Ruth Johnson-Sergeant- Barry had deposed she went to Pemaquid with her father & sister, when abt 6 months old from Marblehead but the name in the deposition says Ruth Barneby, which was Ruth's daughter in law's surname.. . I know this to be true and someone in history got her name mixed up with Ruth Barneby who was daughter of Stephen Barneby & Ruth Morton(of the Pligrim line) She m. William Sergeant(son of Thomas and Ruth (Johnson) Sergeantn in Barnstable Co, and Barneby was never in Marblehead or Pemaquid Maine to my knowledge. They had 3 children, Francis, William and Ruth, In Plymouth Co. How could names on depositions be so screwed up?. She was later in Essex Court claiming land for herself , and her children and her deceased sister Mary claiming land of her father's in Long Cove and New Harbor. Yet she is never mentioned as Ruth Johnson, her fathers name was never mentioned in the deposition, or was her late husband's name, Thomas Sergeant's name mentioned or even her name at that time which was Ruth Sergeant Barry. Seriously how did this get so screwed up? And Ruth died in 1765 in Boston, listed by Drake as one of the oldest midwives. He lists her again as Ruth Barneby, But swiftly corrects her name in his errta version at the footnote as Sergeant Berry[sic] when her daughter Ruth Barneby Sergeant died way before her. Even her church and her death record were listed as Barneby in her death. Why? She was NEVER married after the death of her second husband John Barry anywhere that I could find. GDMNH lists her as a widow again in 1720. . Why would the Gov't purposely list her name as Barneby and not Barry? I think she may have got screwed out of getting any land back from Maine because of this. I find no further record after her depositions. and Many of our family have tried to get answers and can not find the reason for this and her repeatedly being listed as Barneby, when there is no doubt in my mind it was indeed BARRY! There are no marriages in Boston of a Ruth Barry married to a Barneby. Some informant obviously wrote the name down as her daughter in laws surname!

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion