Saul Zigfrid Cauzmer - Grandson, not son?

Started by Private User on Wednesday, August 25, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts

From his patronymic as seen on JRI, it would appear that he was a son of his 'brother' Zvi Hirsch Ozer Zausmer and thus a grandson, not a son, of R' Menachem Nahum Zausmer of Bialystok - who ought to have had only 2 sons, incidentally.

Private User,

Can you provide the actual source from JRI-Poland.

Kevin

Sure. 1892 Bialystok marriages, akt 58
CAUZMER, SaulZigfrid Gerszowicz 1892 M 58
ZABLUDOWSKA, Fanni Gustawowna 1892 M 58

(A scan of the original is here, in Russian: https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/skan/-/skan/d11918967fd21abc4d7...)

The first Cauzmer/Zausmer in Bialystok was R' Menachem Nahum Zausmer of Bialystok, so 'Gersz' cannot be his father, so must be his son, and Saul-Zigfrid, his grandson.

The information as it is here is from Yad Vashem, submitted by a descendant of a brother, many generations removed. I suspect some confusion is at play here.

Private User,

That marriage is for Saul Zigfrid Cauzmer and Fanny Cauzmer.

You need to look to see if you can find anything on the current siblings of Saul.

Kevin

I also have a source from the 1920s who seems confident that R' Menachem Nahum Zausmer of Bialystok only had two sons, Zvi Hirsch Ozer Zausmer and Oszer Enzel Cauzmer.

(See Avot Atarah la-Banim, a classic genealogical reference work, digital pages 222, 223, 246: https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=46893&pgnum=222 )

I'd say that Zvi Hirsch Ozer Zausmer's son Saul Zigfrid Cauzmer is a duplicate of Saul Zigfrid Cauzmer, only with the correct father. (the information there is based on the same source linked above)

Private User,

Thanks. I have moved the incorrectly located Saul and merged him in with the correctly located Saul.

I of course cut him away from Zvi Hirsch.

Kevin

Thanks, only just noticed your reply

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion