Project Language

Started by Private User on Thursday, September 16, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts
Private User
9/16/2021 at 6:51 AM

This is a Geni group about genealogi in Sweden. Can we agree to use Swedish or English language in our discussions?

9/16/2021 at 7:01 AM

It's okey with me 👍
English is perhaps preferable if there are people from Finland or USA joining a discussion?

Private User
9/16/2021 at 7:02 AM

That makes sense :-)

Private User
9/16/2021 at 7:06 AM

OK!

9/16/2021 at 7:11 AM

Both are ok

9/16/2021 at 7:11 AM

Perfect proposal...& by the way, while IŽm writing, SmÄland is missing in the project as far as I can see. Are there any plans to add that landscape too?

9/16/2021 at 7:20 AM

Per Anders Dencker, Helen Simonsson is organising the projects. I will ask her to join the discussion.

9/16/2021 at 7:26 AM

SmÄland is not missing, there are several projects in SmÄland and the main page for the province is here https://www.geni.com/projects/Sm%C3%A5land-historical-province-of-S...

Private User
9/16/2021 at 7:28 AM

both are ok, english is , perhaps, easier for someone outside of Scandinavia to follow.

Private User
9/16/2021 at 7:40 AM

Svenska gÄr alldeles utmÀrkt.Jag talar bÄde svenska och finska.Och har anor bÄde i Finland och Sverige som mÄnga andra .Sverige och Finland har lÄng gemensam historia.

9/16/2021 at 7:45 AM

I feel comfortable with both Swedish and English. We are a lot of people with family trees or roots in several countries except Sweden. And as I see it the important thing is to connect people in different geographical areas. We have a lot of Americans or Finnish speaking people who wants to know more about their family roots in Sweden. And in Sweden we have five minority languages, Finnish, Saami, MeÀnkieli, Jiddish and Romani. I believe that although we would decide to have all discussions mainly in Swedish and English, our goal will still be to help people doing family research in Sweden in as many languages we can. Some people who want to do family research in Sweden are not fluently in Swedish. And I think the main goal on Geni is to help each other! And there are a lot of people that are good at several languages that are willing to help those who are not bilingual!

Going back to the question about SmÄland, there are at least 11 projects on Geni about SmÄland, and one of them is about the historical province. Per Anders Dencker, you find most of the SmÄlands-project on the main page called "Sverige" or if you use the search function in the upper right corners in "projects".

9/16/2021 at 7:49 AM

English for me please

9/16/2021 at 7:51 AM

OK!

9/16/2021 at 8:04 AM

English please 🙃

9/16/2021 at 8:08 AM

English please !

Private User
9/16/2021 at 8:21 AM

Svenska som modersmÄl, men uppvÀxt i finsk omgivning i Helsingfors, sÄ finska Àr ocksÄ ok. TyvÀrr inte engelska

9/16/2021 at 8:26 AM

I'm fine with either. TyvÀrr blir ju nÄgon utesluten hur man Àn gör...

Private User
9/16/2021 at 8:30 AM

English please

9/16/2021 at 8:45 AM

English for me

9/16/2021 at 8:46 AM

Det gÄr bra med Finska eller Engelska.
Mvh..Eila SeppÀlÀ

Private User
9/16/2021 at 8:52 AM

Hej,
Svenska gÄr bra, engelska gÄr bra, finska gÄr bra. Jag har slÀktingar i Sverige.
Johan Roos

9/16/2021 at 9:15 AM

I think we should mainly aim at using Swedish or English, but allow also comments in other languages in case the person does not speak either of them. For me, Finnish (mother tongue), Swedish, English, Norwegian, Karelian, German, Spanish and Russian are OK.

9/16/2021 at 9:52 AM

I think that Reijo's idea of using Swedish or English as a main communication language is fine and most suitable. If there is a need for only Finnish usage lets try help and translate. In this group certainly are language skilled members to help.

9/16/2021 at 10:01 AM

Both Swedish and English are ok for me.

9/16/2021 at 10:54 AM

Yes Wellcome all folks, we are so happy folks and positive.

Private User
9/16/2021 at 11:04 AM

Hiya

English is my language. With that said, I'm comfortable using Google Translate or DeepL. I play a game with international players and that’s how we communicate. We generally reply using the others native language. So if the conversation starts in Swedish then we would all communicate using Swedish or vice versa for English.

Hej

Engelska Àr mitt sprÄk. Med det sagt Àr jag bekvÀm med att anvÀnda Google Translate eller DeepL. Jag spelar ett spel med internationella spelare och det Àr sÄ vi kommunicerar. Vi svarar i allmÀnhet med det andra modersmÄlet. SÄ om samtalet börjar pÄ svenska skulle vi alla kommunicera med svenska eller vice versa för engelska.

9/16/2021 at 2:43 PM

I guess this language discussion came up since several of us living in Sweden or working in this project group, do not understand what Pentti Mattila wrote in Finnish? So if Pentti Mattila wants us that do not understand Finnish to answer a question or comment something, he need to refrase what he wrote for an example in English or in Swedish - or if someone of you who are bilingual and good at Finnish and Swedish, or English, can tell us others what the question or discussion was about? You can usually expect someone in Sweden to be able to speak Swedish or English - but only 200 000-250 000 persons in Sweden speak Finnish.

Hej , svenska eller english is ok . All my know how in finnish is gone way back.

Private User
9/16/2021 at 3:05 PM

English are ok for me

9/17/2021 at 12:32 AM

Engelska blir lite kÀmpigt för mig. Men det finns ju google translate.

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion