Sweden

Started by Reijo Mitro Savola, Geni Curator on Sunday, September 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 33 posts
9/26/2021 at 6:52 PM

Do you have roots in Sweden? Welcome to the Sweden project!

https://www.geni.com/projects/Sweden/4479025

9/26/2021 at 7:46 PM

I have relatives that still reside in Sweden. My father's parents emigrated from Sweden.

9/26/2021 at 8:39 PM

My grandparents were Carl erik Nelson and Johannette Meier. I can't find anything about Carl's family. Says on my Dad's birth certificate he was from Sweden.

Private User
9/27/2021 at 1:34 AM

My great-grandfather was from Sweden, but I have no other confirmed information about him.

9/27/2021 at 3:36 AM

Did not think I had any Swedish roots but I have been connected to several Swedish DNA matches and there appears to be Dutch and Swedish surnames connecting to my Stumbaugh branch.

9/27/2021 at 5:32 AM

My grandfather John Henry Soderbom was born in Stockholm, and came to the US when he was 1

Private User
9/27/2021 at 5:42 AM

My husband has roots mostly in Värmalnd parishes Köla, Eda and Järnskog. Bergqvist, Dahlman and Karjalainen

9/27/2021 at 5:44 AM

I descend from Peter Gunnarson Rambo, who migrated to America in the 1600's.

9/27/2021 at 8:03 AM

Yes, Reijo, both my husband and I have some Swedish roots. Him, more than me. So I have joined this project. Thanks for the invitation. --Linda

9/27/2021 at 9:17 AM

My roots are from Northern England which was settled by the Vikings around 800 AD for about 200 years. It was called Danelaw. At that time, lower Sweden belonged to Denmark so my DNA shows Swedish ancestry. I have no relatives in Sweden that I know, but many "cousin" matches come up.

Private User
9/27/2021 at 10:27 AM

My simple DNA showed 5% Norwegian but no Swedish. However, a recently disconnected line from Mary (Maria) Gorges, formerly wife of Capt. Andrew Newcomb, does go to Fyllingham & Okna & Handelo & Normas in the 1400s. I can furnish urls if needed. Glad this notice opened up some new avenues for me.

Private User
9/27/2021 at 10:36 AM

BTW, Reijo, according to Geni we are not related, either by blood or by in-law.

9/27/2021 at 12:09 PM

My Erickson relatives moved from Sweden to Michigan in the 1800's. The dairy farm in Whittemore/Prescott, Michigan has been recognized as a Centennial farm.

9/27/2021 at 12:19 PM

All four of my grandparents are from Sweden. All deceased now. The biggest puzzle in my family is that no one can find any birth record or the whereabouts of my maternal great grandfather for the first 25 years of his life. Anders Gustav Klöfverstedt claimed he was born in Helsinki on 20 January 1823 but no one has ever found a record of that birth or where he was until the late 1840s. He was highly educated when he finally showed up in Härnösand, Sweden. Someone intimated that Swedish military births in Helsinki would be registered with the Swedish Military. Would anyone know how to pursue this?

9/27/2021 at 1:48 PM

Following. I’m 8% Swedish, according to DNA test results.

9/27/2021 at 3:09 PM

Anything is possible. I am unsure.

9/28/2021 at 3:30 AM

I can send invitations to the project too. Just let me know.

9/28/2021 at 7:35 AM

My great grandmother, Matilda Karolina Erickson (Ericsson) was born on 30 MAY 1875 in Simtuna, Västmanland, Sweden. She emigrated in 1880 with her father, Anders Gustaf Erickson (Ericsson), born 15 APR 1838 in Hammarskåll Thuringe, Turinge, Stockholm, Sweden and mother, Bernhardina Karolina Anderson (Andersdotter) born 4 MAR 1844 in Tillinge, Uppsala, Sweden. I've found records for them in ArkivDigital, but get lost trying to locate earlier relatives. Ancestry DNA shows that I'm 29% Swedish and Danish, and 23andMe shows me at 13% Swedish.

Private User
9/28/2021 at 9:47 AM

My great grandfather , great great grandparents, and all of their children come from Hammerdal, Jamtland, Sweden and settled in Minnesota, US. I apparently have a ton of living relatives in Sweden, Norway and Finland. I have reached out to a couple to see if they can help with some questions or have any old photos, but they remain silent. Has anyone had any luck reaching out to living relatives? Or have any tips on researching Swedish records?

9/29/2021 at 5:37 PM

My great grandfather Robert Holmquist was the son of the man designing/heading Sweden’s railroad development.
That’s the family story, anyway.
I would love to find info on his father, because Robert ran away from home aged 12/13.
I would also love to find out if there’s any immigration info for Robert in NYC/Ellis Island.

9/30/2021 at 7:34 AM

I descend from Anne of Russia who married King Henry I of France. Her mother, Ingegarde of Sweden, was the daughter of King Saint Olave III of Sweden.

9/30/2021 at 8:15 AM

Thank you for inviting me to the group.
Yes! My grandparents moved here from Sweden. Grandfather Anderson was born in Borvik Varmland and I think some of his family were from Gillberga. I've been able to find a limited amount of information on him.
My grandmother Larsson's side was from Bosebo and Hogsby.
I never knew either of them and most of my clues to my grandmother's side were left to me by my aunt.
She left me a family tree that was created in the 1930's written in Old Swedish (so I'm told) and was very difficult to decipher. Google translate helped me figure out the basics of it. My second cousin, Alice Larsson (never met her), created a tree which also gave me guidance. That was sent to me by my first cousin...so happy he didn't throw it out ! Through her information I connected with a second cousin once removed who currently lives in Angelholm, Sweden and her father who lives in Hogsby. I'm grateful they know some English.
I have a large tree (nearly 3,000) on My Heritage, but most of this tree was created copying over other people's information so sadly there's errors. Through them I was able to look at the Swedish Church Records (census). I also participated in their DNA research which estimates I'm 26% Swedish. I'd like to share the DNA with other sites to get a more accurate overview but I'm not sure how to do that.

Private User
9/30/2021 at 5:50 PM

I do not have Swedish roots and will not be participating. Happy hunting!

10/1/2021 at 5:25 AM

Thank you for the invitation!! My grandmother, Anna Elizabeth Bergstrom, was born and raised in Sweden (Karlskrona in Blekinge). When she was a teenager she came to the US as an indentured servant. She met my grandfather, Lester Sanks, in NYC after her term was up. They married and moved to Kansas City, MO.

Private User
10/1/2021 at 8:07 AM

My DNA showed a 14.5% Swedish heritage. I only have one relative that I suspect may be the source. He is my maternal grandmothers biological father. The only thing I could find on him was my grandmothers birth certificate She was born and named Jamesena Alice B. Edwards. The B was in to reference to her biological father. On the certificate was a hand written the name Barron. I sent sent for her Birth Certificate directly to and received from England. Edwards was her mothers maiden name. They were not married but my grandmother always referred to her father as Mr. B. when he visited when she was very young. This man is a complete mystery but would like any info to have it solved.

10/1/2021 at 11:23 AM

I have DNA ties to through American slavery to the Rambo family who migrated to the U.S.and settled in New Sweden in the Delaware valley.

Private User
10/2/2021 at 10:54 AM

I descend from the early settlers of the New Sweden colony in the 1600's, now in the state of Delaware. I belong to the Timen Stiddem society, and have descent from two of his sons.

10/3/2021 at 6:16 AM

Interesting to make such Connections must be from my mothers side!

10/3/2021 at 5:20 PM

No, I don't believe I have any Ancestors from Sweden.

10/10/2021 at 4:14 PM

According to DNA I'm 11% Swedish but I have yet to find out Which ancestors were from Sweden.

Showing 1-30 of 33 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion