Helen Buchanan - Parents? Consistency Check:

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Wednesday, September 29, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
9/29/2021 at 12:30 PM

Consistency Check:

Sir George Buchanan of Buchanan born after the death of his mother Margaret Graham.Helen Buchanan born after the death of her father Sir George Buchanan, Kt..Sir George Buchanan of Buchanan born after the death of his father Sir George Buchanan, Kt..John Buchanan born after the death of his father Sir George Buchanan, Kt..William McGowan is under 14 years old for his marriage.Mary Colquhoun born after the death of her mother Helen Buchanan.George Colquhoun born after the death of his mother Helen Buchanan.Mary Colquhoun born after the death of her father Sir Alexander Colquhoun of Luss.George Colquhoun born after the death of his father Sir Alexander Colquhoun of Luss.

Private User
9/29/2021 at 1:34 PM

Thankyou for starting this discussion, Cynthia.

First problem, as I see it, is that 4 parents are attributed to Helen ( her father is listed twice, differently named, from two different Geni master profiles).

I had raised the latter issue with another curator (on 9/20), and asked to be added as manager of his profile. But my request has not yet been acceded to, and I hadn't had a chance to answer her related query yet. The two profiles are both easy to find (George Buchanan's).

I think you are right, that there are a few problems here.
Looks like they may derive from new profiles and data having been added which may have created duplication and/or confusion (not picked up by Geni?) and/or possibly resulting from merges, disconnects or other changes.

9/30/2021 at 5:01 AM

Dianne - I asked you for the other URL on the 21/9 - you did not respond.

9/30/2021 at 5:03 AM

I am not the Curator of this profile, so managers and interested parties will need to help with some research to resolve the issue.

The two 'fathers' appear right now to be different men with different dates and different wives; so the MP feature is thankfully preventing them being merged until we can figure it out,

Private User
9/30/2021 at 7:08 AM

Sharon, good morning from the Mid-West!

If you could check your private messages, you'll see that I did respond (yesterday) when I was on here, and also responded to Cynthia's discussion note.

Like many other users, I am not on Geni every day, only as and when I have time.

I had also asked to be added as a Manager of the George Buchanan profile for which you and, I think, one other person are currently managers, but not sure if that's happened yet. Can you approve that, or does Geni management have to do it?

There appear to have been prior merges for the two George Buchanan profiles. I haven't yet had a chance to delve into relevant data on the two wives.

Thank you for your help.

9/30/2021 at 11:15 AM

Hi Dianne, from South Africa. My dated comment was because yours had made it look like I hadn't responded - when in fact it was you who hadn't. I try to be on Geni everyday and help as many people as I can, but I'm a volunteer with a day job too.

I'm not seeing the manager request to George Buchanan?

Private User
9/30/2021 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

I tend to work from the presumption that most Geni subscribers arent necessariily online and active every day.

My comment wasn't intended to make "it" look like anything other than what it was/is. We could probably go back and forth forever on that point, but it probably wouldn't serve any productive purpose. The important issue, I think, is to get the Buchanan details straightened out.

Please refer to my original private message for my request to be added as a .manager of your George Buchanan profile. If there's a problem with that, please let me know. Thanks.

9/30/2021 at 9:15 PM

From my point of view the productive purpose in acknowledging that I actually answered you straight away, instead of going back and forth, is validating that it hurts to be publicly criticized for doing your best. It isn't difficult to do.

9/30/2021 at 9:18 PM

Re 'Please refer to my original private message for my request to be added as a .manager of your George Buchanan profile. If there's a problem with that, please let me know. Thanks.'

You want me to search through hundreds of emails to give you management on a profile I created instead of resending it. Really?

10/1/2021 at 6:20 AM

16th – Sir George Buchanan,[78][79] (Guthrie Smith identifies him as 12th Chief and Buchanan of Auchmar identifies him as 19th Chief) succeed his grandfather, George 15th of Buchanan, in 1561, married Lady Mary Graham and by her one son (Sir John Buchanan, 17th of that Ilk his successor) and two daughters (Helen and Susanna). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Buchanan

10/1/2021 at 6:21 AM

XVII. Sir George Buchanan, succeeded his grandfather, George, Laird of Buchanan, in 1561. He married Lady Mary Graham, daughter of John, Earl of Menteith, and had John and two daughters, (1) Helen, who married Alexander Colquhoun of Luss, and (2) Susanna, who married John Macfarlane of that Ilk. https://archive.org/stream/buchananbooklife00buchuoft#page/183/mode...

10/1/2021 at 6:51 AM

but

1) John Buchanan of that ilk, 16th of Buchanan (d by 03.1599) m. (01.1560-1) Mary Graham (dau of John Graham, 4th Earl of Menteith)

(A) John Buchanan of that ilk, 17th of Buchanan (a 1629) m. Annabel Erskine (dau of Adam Erskine, Commendator of Cambuskenneth)

(i) George Buchanan of that ilk, 18th of Buchanan (d before 1653) m. Elizabeth Preston (dau of Sir George Preston of Craigmillar).... etc.
(ii) Walter Buchanan

(B) Helen Buchanan m. (mcrt 18.08.1595) Alexander Colquhoun of Luss (d 23.05.1617)
(C) Susanna Buchanan (dsp) m. John Macfarlane of that ilk of Arrochar (d 1624)

http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/bb4fz/buchanan02.php

10/1/2021 at 7:02 AM

I'm going to solve it with a compromise unless we can find primary sources

George or John Buchanan of that ilk, 16th of Buchanan (d by 03.1599)

m. (01.1560-1) Mary or Margaret Graham (dau of John Graham, 4th Earl of Menteith)

• (A) John Buchanan of that ilk, 17th of Buchanan (a 1629) m. Annabel Erskine (dau of Adam Erskine, Commendator of Cambuskenneth)
  • (B) Helen Buchanan m. (mcrt 18.08.1595) Alexander Colquhoun of Luss (d 23.05.1617)
  • (C) Susanna Buchanan (dsp) m. John Macfarlane of that ilk of Arrochar (d 1624)
Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion