Now, what?

Started by Timothy Von Itter on Sunday, October 3, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
10/3/2021 at 3:37 PM

I first came to Geni to map out my family tree. I have had some discussions with other members, even relatives, but for the most part just kept hammering away at the old tree. I have been invited to join a few projects, and accepted and felt honored, but I know nothing of how that works... Do I just try to weigh in on discussions? I understand how to add a profile to a project, but which ones, and why? Please forgive my ignorance... I wish to participate and help out as much as I can... I just need to know how...

Private User
10/3/2021 at 5:23 PM

I would also be interested in knowing how to effectively participate in a project, as this is the first one that I have joined.

10/3/2021 at 9:27 PM

Hi, here is some info in English how to use Geni: //www.geni.com/projects/Geni-Help-Portal/17503

If you want to know why we have projects, here is some insights of that topic: https://www.geni.com/projects/Working-with-Projects/12487

10/3/2021 at 10:53 PM

Timothy Von Itter.
Here is some ideas for you to to consider for working on the projects.

Thanks for your good questions.
1. Do I just try to weigh in on discussions? No, you work on your own in your time.
2. Which ones, and why (project)? You have to look at the profile knowledge. Example were she/he has lived, worked, position, wath country he/she has birth and died and so on. It´s all about the profiles life. Selecting the rigth project from that perspectives.
3. Start to work like that from your own Faimily Tree, one by one. You will have a good knowledge about your relatives. Join the project one by one, according to relative information.

I´m working on these project and I have learn ALOT, about my relatives in my Family Tree in Geni. Teir history, what kind of life they have lived, sorrows about the deth in their family. What they have inherited. I have learned from the wars of our nation, which has touched them.
Best regards Sirpa

10/4/2021 at 4:06 PM

Good to know.

10/10/2021 at 12:01 PM

If you know the cause of death you may want to join this project as you can add them to the cause of death that will add knowledge about an ancestor::

Here is a related project:
* [https://www.geni.com/projects/Cause-of-death-portal/27730 Cause of Death portal project]
*** This is the Cause of Death portal project… definitely worth joining so you can add people to a project when you have/know a cause of death. Usually, you have to join the CoD project to add someone to it, but that is easily taken care of. (If you don’t find the cause of death listed, let me know by using the next discussion & I will work on creating one for you.)
* https://www.geni.com/discussions/172707 Cause of Death Projects needed??? (links to pg 1 as I don't know what pg we are on...)
*** Use this site if you have a cause of death that you don’t find in the Cause of death portal. It is a site I started to kind of keep them all in one place (makes response easier--I don't have to search for the original message!). I monitor this site freq so would respond quickly if you put a question or need for a new death related project or have a question of where to put a cause of death. (Numerous people & curators follow this & often add their comments / observations.)

Have fun expanding your knowledge about your family/ancestors with projects.

10/10/2021 at 12:06 PM

Oops, the "Here is a related project" should have been: "Here is a related discussion" and been placed before the 2nd source.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion