Started by Private User on Sunday, October 10, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
Private User
10/10/2021 at 6:37 PM

I'm not convinced that we should be showing Elizabeth Bentley, Soviet spy and Jacob Naumovich Golos as formal parts of each other's tree. Although they had a relationship for about five years, it was borne out of professional obligation (he was her handler) and was largely viewed as one-sided, with him never fully committing to it beyond what he was required to do for work.

He's an important part of her life story, but I don't think it's the kind of relationship we'd typically show in someone's family tree. It's more the kind of thing we'd mention in the bio. I'm assuming we've only connected them because Jacob has no path to the World Family Tree otherwise, but the better solution there would be to build his tree some more.

10/10/2021 at 10:21 PM

They lived together in what we'd legally call a defacto relationship nowadays. However I'm not too sure if there'd be a legal status back then, as he died, but I think that upon the strength of a five year cohabitation that it might be generally accepted that she was his partner, whether offspring of the union occurred or not.

Regards
Peter

10/11/2021 at 1:37 AM

The partnership is provided by the functionality of the site for such cases

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion