Elizabeth Letitia Rush (Lewis) - Elizabeth's Children - a bad merge or two?

Started by Private User on Monday, November 1, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
11/1/2021 at 3:08 PM

@Elizabeth Letitia Rush (Lewis)

With today's (Nov.1, 2021) "confirmation" of 2 Smart Matches of Elizabeth Letitia Rush, I like to check what that may have done to a profile (especially one that is supposed to be locked) to see if there are any inconsistencies. Elizabeth is my 5th ggm so I'm interested in accuracy. There are two huge gaps in her childbearing that may be a red flag. In about 10 years, Eliz has 6 children: Wm (c.1727), Sarah (1730), Eliz. (1732), John (1735), David (1736), and Conrad (1737). But then there is a break of 8 years before Henry (1745) and Stephen (1746) enter the picture. After Stephen, there is another 8 year break before Peter is born in 1754 (which would make Eliz. about 48. Then we have 3 more children listed (Benj., Andrew, Michael) who have no known birth dates. Does anyone have documentation to prove that those last few children born in Elizabeth's 50's were actually hers?

Thanks for any help you can give, Harriet C. Stevenson

11/1/2021 at 6:01 PM

If you look on Peter's profile, you will see a lot of info that I added in his overview. He was NOT their son.

Priv. Peter Rush

11/5/2021 at 10:15 AM

WHY... isn't ANYONE ELSE responding to this discussion!

Elizabeth Rush has 80 followers, and Priv. Peter Rush has 30 followers.

12/11/2021 at 11:09 AM

Are you saying that Priv. Peter Rush needs to be disconnected from Elizabeth Rush ?

There’s a reason for the curator note, though.

This is the Master Profile for Private Peter Rush, Sr..
Curator Note from Erica Howton (9/3/2020):
Peter was the son of William C. Rush, I and Elizabeth Letitia Lewis.

I need to look a bit further and see if it was a bad merge.

12/11/2021 at 12:04 PM

Yes, it was bad merges. Please check the children.

Priv. Peter Rush Is not the same as Peter Rush, Sr.

3/9/2022 at 11:44 PM

Not the same as Elizabeth Bolling

Disputed Identity

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lewis-766

Not the daughter of John Lewis and Elizabeth Warner, since it is established that wealthy young lady was married to John Bolling. Also a different Elizabeth Lewis was married to Daniel Ashcraft.

Against the identification: Wrong place, very common name, contrary to what is known about Elizabeth Lewis of Virginia, wrong social class, absolutely no evidence of a connection. To say that the connection is likely because Benjamin Rush knew Meriwether Lewis is like saying Jimmy Stewart the actor is Martha Stewart's uncle.

7/15/2023 at 4:00 AM

I know there is a lot of confusion and in some cases strong opinions about the Elizabeth that married William Rush, Sr, and this Elizabeth Lewis being the same person or not. The Wikitree page even states with confidence "No connection, zilch, no chance" a bit further down than quoted above.

What I can offer is "there is a chance" and it's based on science and not opinion.

My DNA profile has been matched to other people who have trees going to ancestors of the Warner Hall Lewis family above this Elizabeth Lewis. Not through her but through her brothers John, Charles and Robert. That's the key so it's not confirmation bias from others who have the same through-line. Other surnames like Fielding, Howell and Meriwether (the maiden names of the brothers' spouses) appear in my DNA matches. Those are cousin lines, which means a common ancestor must be higher on the tree.

Of course, this also is not definitive because DNA is not a perfect science and the connection is 300+ years in the past where you start to get statistically it's possible a lot of us are related to the same people who settled the US in the 1600's. 10 generations back, you have 1024 potential ancestors to connect to and the New World was rather newly settled.

Since most of Gloucester County records from the 17th century were destroyed by fire, we probably will never know. But through the DNA matching I have found, it is very suggestive that the Elizabeth Lewis that married William Rush, Sr. is, in fact, possibly the daughter of John Lewis and Elizabeth Warner.

7/16/2023 at 12:22 AM

Just adding I am confused about the Overview Page summary:

Elizabeth Lewis
BIRTH 1706 Gloucester County, Virginia, USA
DEATH unknown
BURIAL Warner Hall Graveyard Naxera, Gloucester County, Virginia, USA
reportedly died at Warner Hall bfr 1727. Married John Kennon Bolling of Cobbs in 1720

This would mean she married John Bolling at the age of 14.

The Elizabeth Lewis that is buried at the Warner Hall Graveyard is her mother, Elizabeth Warner (Lewis). I haven't seen anything about another Elizabeth Lewis being buried in that graveyard.

7/16/2023 at 1:07 PM

Updated the about for Elizabeth Bolling to reduce confusion.

The curator note (blue box) reads:

Elizabeth Lewis, dau. of Col. John Lewis & wife Elizabeth Warner, baptized in 1706. Married c.1726, John Kennon Bolling, son of John Fairfax Bolling & wife Mary Kennon. She died soon after the marriage. No children. Older half sister, died young.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion