Ron Halpern - Origin of the Halpern Name

Started by Private User on Thursday, November 18, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
11/18/2021 at 11:55 PM

The common Jewish name Halpern, and many variants such as Alpert, derive from the name of this city Heilbronn. Heilbronn is located in Germany, in the northern corner of the Neckar basin at the bottom of the Wartberg (308 m). It occupies both banks of the Neckar, and the highest spot inside city limits is the Schweinsberg with a height of 372 meters. Heilbronn is adjacent to Swabian-Franconian Forest Nature Park and is surrounded by vineyards.

Ever since the Franks under Chlodwig settled in the Neckar region around 500AD the area has been predominantly Christian and when Heilbronn was first mentioned in an official document in 741AD Christian Michaelsbasilica, present day's Kilianskirche, was mentioned along with the city. The Teutonic Knights constructed its church from the 13th century and both churches were continually expanded. They were joined later by other churches and cloisters in the city.

Around 1050AD an important Jewish community was mentioned that had settled in what became known as the Judengasse (Lohtorstraße). In 1298AD, 143 Jews were killed during the Rintfleisch-Pogrom and in 1350AD Jews suffered attacks again during a European epidemic of the Bubonic plague. The city's constitution required the council to include Jews, but already in the middle of the 15th century Jews were the target of vigilantes again until they were evicted from the city in 1490 with the blessings of Emperor Frederick III.

11/19/2021 at 4:26 AM

Hi Ron,

I see that we are distantly related on two different paths.

Thanks for posting this useful piece of information as I have various Alpers and Alperts in my family tree and several Heilbron(n)s, so was pleased to discover this.

Best wishes

Bernard

Private User
11/20/2021 at 7:35 AM

Hey there Bernard! Great to hear from you. I've been researching my family tree for a while - it is hard because much of that history was swept away during the Holocaust. I've come to find that Jews were literally the wanderers in Europe. Until recently, I thought my paternal grandfather grew up in Austria. I learned however, that he was born in Galizia - southeast Poland/Ukraine. I am going to continue my search there (online). There is a nice summary of the history of Jews in Poland posted by Wikipedia. Not sure how accurate it is, especially with all the political outfall occurring in Poland now regarding Jews.

You say you found we are distantly related on two different paths. I'd love to learn about new family. I see you are from London. My father once told me that one of our neighbors in Israel, Bracha Benyamini, was a relative and had family in England. ??
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Happy Channukah to you and your family! May the lights of the candles light up your soul, your life, and the lives of your family.

Private User
11/23/2021 at 7:24 PM

Bernard Miller
Bernard. My grandfather was born in the town of Zalosce, in what was then Poland, but now is Ukraine - a part of Galicia. There is a link - kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/zalosce/zalosce.htm I was able to look up the name Halpern for the early 1900s - there were four businesses owned by Halperns. One of them was a miller! Coincidence??

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion