Col. Thomas Anthony Ricards - Correcting his descent based on Y DNA test results

Started by Erica Howton on Saturday, November 20, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
11/20/2021 at 7:27 PM

Private User Advises us of tree corrections needed:

Managers of Col. Thomas Anthony Ricards,

I am contacting you about this profile: Col. Thomas Anthony Ricards

According to the BIG Y DNA, Ricketts, Thomas Ricketts, born 1659 in Berkeley, Gloucester, England, emigrated to America in 1677, settled in Maryland and died 1722 in All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland, was identified and proven as R-CTS10195 in BIG Y DNA. He had a mutation in a gene which is shared by no one EXCEPT all of his male descendants of which I am a proven descendant. Furthermore, Thomas Ricketts was proven by DNA to be a son of Charles Ricketts 1632-1681, and records in Berkeley, Gloucester, England, support this DNA findings, and Charles Ricketts had a spouse named Cicely Bennett, the mother of Thomas Ricketts 1659-1722. FURTHERMORE, Charles Ricketts was the son of John Ricketts (ca. 1591- ) and his wife Margaret Hoorne (spelled with a double o). This branch of Ricketts are NOT descendants of Capt. Henry Ricketts nor of the Jamaican Ricketts, nor of the Thomas Ricketts who married into the Rugely family.

I refer you to Henry Campbell Ricketts of England who manages the Ricketts facebook and other data. He and I are 10th cousins, and by BIG Y DNA Thomas Ricketts 1659-1722, the immigrant to America in 1677, was a first cousin of Henry Campbell Ricketts.

I have been unable so far to change the data entered for the parents and ancestors of Thomas Ricketts 1659-1722, He was NOT a direct descendant of Col. Thomas Ricketts.

I need your help to correct the data. However, I encourage you to research the results of the latest 700 marker DNA for Ricketts family, and check online for the latest entries of recent DNA results on the 700 marker BIG Y. Or contact Henry Campbell Ricketts in England who has an incredible knowledge of what the new DNA data is showing on the Ricketts family insofar as Thomas Ricketts 1659-1722 and his ancestors and descendants.

In other words, change the information (which so far I have not been able to do so) because you have RESEARCHED afresh. Undoubtedly, many Ricketts in America are descendants of Capt Henry Ricketts, but Thomas Ricketts 1659-1722 is NOT one of them. I descend from Thomas Ricketts 1659-1722 and his first spouse Margarit Evans through their son, Thomas A Ricketts 1685-1773 and his wife Rebecca Nicholson Ricketts.

May I hear from you soon?

11/20/2021 at 8:37 PM

Taking it from the tree top, we follow Burkes:

“A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry; Or ..., Volume 1.” By John Burke. Page 22. GoogleBooks

Col. Thomas Ricards married Elizabeth Ricards and had two known children:

1. John Ricards (No children)

2. Capt. William Ricketts of Jamaica (11 children)

All other children currently showing for Col. Thomas & Elizabeth will be detached.

11/20/2021 at 8:59 PM
11/20/2021 at 9:02 PM

John Ricketts of Cecil County Had been Mis merged - extracted.

Now I’ll go over to the Charles Ricketts line.

11/20/2021 at 9:53 PM

https://wc.rootsweb.com/trees/137578/I00958/thomasanthony-ricketts/... (And similar sources) show this as the family of Thomas Ricketts, Sr. and Margrit Ricketts - the children born in England are not sourced.

I’m already disregarding the parents shown on that site as incorrect, based on the information above.

Family Marriage: Married: Margrit Evans on 1684 at All Hallows, Anne Arundel, Maryland. Margrit Evans: Birth: ABT 1665 in England. Death: BEF 17 MAR 1703/04 in Anne Arundel, Maryland

Children:

1. Thomas Anthony Ricketts: Birth: 20 SEP 1685 in All Hallows Parish, All Hallows, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Death: ABT 1773

NO
*Mary Ricketts: Birth: 1687 in Low Leyton, Middlesex, England.

• Edward Ricketts: Birth: ABT 1690 in Middlesex, England.
  • Francis Ricketts: Birth: ABT 1695 in Low Leyton, Middlesex, England.
  • Christopher Ricketts: Birth: 1704 in Low Leyton, Middlesex, England.

Family Marriage: Married: Sarah Rawlings on 14 AUG 1705.

https://www.anamericanfamilyhistory.com/Ricketts%20Family/RickettsT... Shows only one known child - Thomas Anthony Ricketts, Jr. who married
Thomas Anthony Ricketts, Jr.

I’m going to separate the English born children as not his children. If there are sources, they can always be re attached.

11/20/2021 at 11:30 PM

Private User - you may be interested in this update. I don’t think we’re back to Wales, but can go a couple of gens into Gloucestershire.

It looks like the Y DNA test found the match with descendants of John Ricketts, Il in England. Private User - is that a correct surmise? (The FT DNA project for Ricketts doesn’t have a public spreadsheet.).

For your guy, there are extant baptism, marriage, burial and transportation records, so it looks like we’re meeting the Genealogical Proof Standard. I hope details of the test get published to just nail it down further.

Private User
11/21/2021 at 4:19 AM

I thank you kindly for the quick response to my email and for the realization that DNA, particularly the BIG Y 700 marker, is of a quality that now enables researchers to obtain a greater sense of confidence in determining ancestors.

I have taken the BIG Y 700 marker. Since Thomas Ricketts, 1659-1722, the Immigrant, had a mutation in his gene that does not belong to any of his siblings or ancestors, but that mutation is found in ALL DESCENDANTS. These mutations, however minor tor significant they may be, happens every few generations. Thomas Ricketts' great grandson, Robert Ricketts ca. 1758 MD to 1801/2 Burke County, NC has been assigned the DNA identification number of R-FT420803 based on MY Big Y and the BIG Y of another descendant of Robert Rickett 1758-1801/2. It takes two people with a common ancestor to obtain an ID code. Until one of my sons takes the BIG Y, I have 3 possible variants that will likely become my code. Robert Rickett 1758-1801/2 was my 4th great grandfather.

I contacted Henry Campbell-Ricketts in England, and learned that the Berkeley, Gloucester, England branch of our lineage spelled their surname with an "s" at the end, and my great grandfather was the one who consistently did not use the "s" in his surname. Those who were "Rickett" (no "s") in England were from another shire on the opposite coast, and this, too, added to the confusion as many in my branch may not have recognized that the original spelling was RICKETTS. Henry Campbell-Ricketts ancestor was a cousin of Thomas Ricketts 1659-1722 (Immigrant), and he does NOT have the mutation shown in Thomas Ricketts.

I will do my best as manager of some of these ancestors, and I thank you for the privilege.

Ken Rickett

Private User
11/21/2021 at 7:41 AM

Excellent sleuthing. You'll probably find an "ap Richard" somewhere not too far up the upline.

11/21/2021 at 9:37 AM

Here’s the Will of Charles Ricketts if anyone can make out more than I did.

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000180265143944

11/21/2021 at 1:43 PM

Anne Brannen - can we trouble you for a quick Will transcript?

Original image is here

https://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/4294/media/41513_...

11/21/2021 at 1:50 PM

yes, with pleasure -- a sort of busy afternoon, so give me a bit.

11/22/2021 at 10:12 AM

ok - here you go; I think there was a word I couldn't get yet; if you need it let me know and I'll wrassle it some more.

[?] Caroli Ricketts

dated the fourntene of ffebrewarey 1681

In the Name of god Amene [?] Charles Ricketts of wanswell
In the Parish of Barklay And Countey of Gloster Thacher
Beinge sicke in Body but of sound And perfite Memory
Thankes be Giuene two god for it I commit my Bodey
Two the Earth And my soule to gods Almytey protektion

In primus I giue And Be[s]towe Vnto my wife Cisley
Ricketts my Hous And All the Apurtennses thare vnto
Belongengs douringe the Terme of herre lif And In cas
My wife should dey Befor the to yongest Children
Should Cum to the eage of sixtene yeares then my two Children
Samewell Ricketts And Marey Ricketts should haue the hous
with the Apurtenanses thare two Belongings tell they cume
tow the Eage of sixtene eares two help to Bred theme vp
And Then After two my two Sunes John Ricketts And
Two my sun Charles Ricketts Equalley betwene theme foreuer
& I Giue And Becwefe vnto my sun Thomas Ricketts [xxx] fiue shilling
& I Giue And Becwefe vnto my sun James Ricketts fiue shilling
& I Giue and Becwefe vnto my sun Edward fiue shillings
& I Giue vnto my sun Sammewell fiue shilling
& I Giue And Becewfe vnto my dahter Marey Rickets fiue shillings
& I Giue And Becwefe vnto my wife Cisley Alle my Goodes with
thine doors And with thout dors And all my Cattell And I do mak my [?]
my soole And whoole Exseketon two pay my deets And legesies
And Beurey me in Christian Berrial

Selled And deliuered in the
presens of vs

James Taylor
John Rickards

Charles Rickerds X
his Mark

11/22/2021 at 10:19 AM

Also if the spelling gives you trouble and you need a translation (oh lol) let me know -- anything I've transcribed in it I can decipher.

11/22/2021 at 10:23 AM

I especially like the spelling of Becwefe for "bequeath" -- that's how it's being pronounced. (All the spellings are as they are pronounced, since standard spelling hasn't been invented yet in England.)

11/22/2021 at 10:28 AM

Oh, and "u" and "v" interchangeable.

11/22/2021 at 6:02 PM

That’s an amazing document, thank you.

Samwell and Mary are under 16.

social context / interpretation for this will. Did he write himself or dictate & sign? He’s a thatcher (his father was too) which I “presume” is someone who puts thatch on roofs. But he’s in a tiny hamlet, Wanswell, (?) and the amount he leaves his kids - 5 shillings each - sounds pretty tiny. (?)

But my big question is his son Thomas - Y DNA matching apparently - indentured himself to a Maryland planter in 1677. So how is he being treated the same as the others in 1681?

11/22/2021 at 6:14 PM

No, he did not write it — it’s signed with his mark.

Thatching is a skilled job, and such craftsmen were paid pretty well.
And yes, 5 shillings is substantial.

I cannot answer for Thomas, alas. Just telling you what’s on the page.

Lol.

11/22/2021 at 6:37 PM

I’ve really enjoyed this sourcing effort. Got images of almost all the baptism records - even if I can’t read them well.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion