George R.R. Martin - Mystery grandfather identified

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, November 21, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
11/21/2021 at 5:37 PM

Genetic genealogist CeCe Moore stayed on the case (since 2013) to identify the grandfather of noted science fiction writer, George R.R. Martin

He was Chaim Jossel “Joseph” Perlmutter as discussed in her New Yorker interview:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/11/22/how-your-family-tree-...
“How Your Family Tree Could Catch a Killer” By Raffi Khatchadourian, The New Yorker, November 15, 2021

Help welcome, and many thanks to Philipp E. Kafka for the alert.

11/21/2021 at 6:05 PM

I was trying to figure out Ross-Perlmutter and came up with this family.

Jennie Ross

11/21/2021 at 6:29 PM

So maybe Israel & Henry Perlmutter are related?

Year: 1920; Census Place: Bayonne Ward 4, Hudson, New Jersey; Roll: T625_1040; Page: 15A; Enumeration District: 39 AncestryImage

• Household Members Age Relationship
  • Henry Perlmutter 56 Head
  • Dora Perlmutter 48 Wife
  • Joseph Perlmutter 22 Son
  • Martha Perlmutter 15 Daughter
  • Mary Perlmutter 14 Daughter
  • Bertha Perlmutter 9 Daughter

We know Jennie married Ross in Manhattan, do we know when so we’re looking at the right generations?

11/21/2021 at 6:56 PM

So you’re looking at this Mattapan MA family?

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/39249004:6061?tid...

11/21/2021 at 9:04 PM

We did it - nice fluffy Family Tree of 371. I still don’t understand the Perlmutter / Ross clue.

11/21/2021 at 9:49 PM

Maybe the Ross was a Rosenzweig. Private

It upset Moore that her work, intended to give people a sense of ancestral belonging, had left Martin with only disconnection. She continued to work the case. Initially, there was just one lead to pursue—a Jewish man, named Scott Ross, who shared three per cent of Martin’s DNA. But there are more than a quarter of a million Americans with the surname Ross. She built trees for dozens of Scott Rosses, hoping to locate one who could plausibly share DNA with Martin. Years passed. A combination of deduction and intuition led her to a family in New Jersey, but she could not complete their tree. Uncertain that they were the right family, she refrained from reaching out.

As I sat with Moore, she opened up Martin’s DNA profile for the first time in months. Up popped a new genetic match: another Jewish man, Corey Roberts, who also shared about three per cent of Martin’s DNA. It appeared that the two men and Ross all shared a set of great-grandparents. But how?

Roberts had built a rudimentary family tree, and Moore quickly vetted and expanded it, identifying all of his great-grandparents. But none of them seemed to connect to the Rosses. So Moore returned to the Ross family’s remaining brick wall. To break through, she needed a marriage certificate from the New York City municipal archives. Back in New York, I was able to apply for it, and weeks later a copy printed on pale-blue card stock arrived by mail. On a line at the bottom, pounded into the original document by a government typewriter, was the name of a woman who tied the families together. Her surname was Perlmutter.

Randy

11/21/2021 at 10:40 PM

We could ask Arthur Ross(Rosenzweig)

Arthur Ross(Rosenzweig)

:)

Can we find Corey Roberts in this tree?

11/27/2021 at 9:42 AM

My son is Scott Ross and my mother was Martha Perlmutter. Joseph Perlmutter was my uncle who died a year before I was born. My middle name is Joseph in his honor. Corey Robert’s is the grandson of Samuel Perlmutter, Joseph and my mother’s brother. From what I heard from my mom and her sisters,Mary and Bertha, Joseph and Samuel had a dispute over Joseph’s bar. My mom and my aunts took Joseph’s side in the dispute and broke off from Samuel’s side of the family.

11/27/2021 at 9:49 AM

That’s a colorful story. Are you all Bayonne people also?

11/27/2021 at 11:04 AM

CeCe Moore should be interested.

11/28/2021 at 6:42 AM

The Perlmutter family resided in Bayonne. My mother moved to Brooklyn when she married and that is where I was raised. CeCe knows all of this.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion