Shlomo Goldstein (Factor) - Factor Faktor - is shlomo factor [goldstein] related to yechiel factor [segall]

Started by Jonathan Shlomo Yonatan Handler on Tuesday, November 23, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

11/23/2021 at 10:56 AM

Julian Segall about his G'Pa - Yechiel [Julius] Factor [Segall]

My grandfather from Plunge, Lithuania.

My grandfather was born Faktor. Changed his name to avoid constription - oldest boys getting conscripted into the Czar's army for lengthy service - adopted into the Segall family ["same situation for my alte zeida - Shlmo Factor", jonathan handler]

My grandfather was born in 1884. He arrived in SA aged 19. He was a qualified Shochet and had his Smichos. He was sent initially to Riebeek Kastiel. My Dad was born in 1929 and only child. I was born in 1965.

My Grandfather passed 27th October 1964. Just looked at his gravestone online. My Hebrew name is almost identical to his

[12:08 PM, 11/22/2021] Julian Segall: R Kastiel and Riebeek West are small towns beyond Malmesbury in the Swartland West Coast about 1 hour or so from CT

Later he moved to Smithfield, Freestate where he became a Cattle rancher and ministered to the country Jews. When the Great Depression came along, he lost his farm and moved to Cavendish Street, Claremont when my Dad was an infant. My grandfather then became a smous

Many Jews in those areas fought alongside the Boers in the Boer wars. Not sure about my grandfather

My grandpa’s one sister married a Lipshitz. They had a son Lippie Lipschitz ( I forget his original first name) who became a famous artist in SA (specialized in Sculptor) and studied in Europe with the modern masters [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippy_Lipshitz]

[12:09 PM, 11/22/2021] Julian Segall: My grandpa passed away in 1964 aged 80. His name was Julius, hence my name. I missed out on
meeting him...

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion