Invitation to Members of Revered Rabbis Project to Participate in Rabbinical Lineages Project

Started by Private User on Saturday, December 25, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
12/25/2021 at 1:00 PM

Rabbinical Researchers,

As you may know there is project at GENI dedicated to identifying rabbinical lineages: the Rabbinical Lineages yDNA and Haplogroup Identification Project.

Matching these lineages can be an effective research strategy, not only for rabbinical history scholars, but also for everyday genealogists looking to connect with a deeper ancestral tradition. Your participation could also make the index more accurate for future scholars and researchers.

This year we added lineages for the following historical figures:

R' Avraham HaRofe, bca 1725: Wertheim and Giterman Ancestor: Rabbi Avraham Ha'rofe
R' Shmuel Zalman Shapiro, bca 1345: 1st Shapiro of Speyer: Rabbi Samuel Zalman Shapira, [1st Shapira - of Speyer]
R' Yoel Ashkenazi Katzenellenbogen bca 1550: 'Knesset Yekhezkel' Ancestor: R' Joel Ashkenazi-Katzenellenbogen
R' Mordechai Jaffe bca 1530: 'Baal HaLevushim': Rabbi Mordechai Jaffe, Ba׳al "Halevushim"
R' Tuvia Hassid Bacharach bca 1650: a Ruzhany Martyr: Tuvia Hassid Bachrach
R' Yakov ben Yehuda Weil bca 1385: 'Mahariv' https://tinyurl.com/rdbprwz8
R' Yitzach de Vitry bca 1120: 'R"I Hazaken' HaRav Yitzhak Ben Shmuel Jaffe, R"I HaZaken of Dampierre
R' Yehuda ben Moshe bca 905: 'Sir Leontin' Rabbi Yehudah Ben Moshe HaKohen, "Sire Léonṭin"
R' Zerechiah HaLevy of Girona bca 1115: Benveniste and Epshteyn ancestor Zerachiah Gracian-Hen haLevi of Girona (Ba'al haMaor)
R' Shabtai Ashkenazi bca 1621: 'Shakh' HaRav Shabty Ashkenazi HaCohen Katz, the "SHaCH"
R' Shmuel ben Chaim of Ostrow bca 1730: 'Charif' HaGaon HaGadol HaRav Shmuel "Hacharif" Ostrah (Ostrog)

Lineage details for these rabbis and about 35 others are available at the project site (https://www.geni.com/projects/Rabbinical-Lineages-yDNA-and-Haplogro...) by viewing the file named 'yDNA_Rabbinical', available on the 'Photos and Documents' page. Note: Many but not all of the rabbis in the Rabbinical Lineages project are considered 'Revered'.

12/25/2021 at 1:32 PM

Private User

my granfather:
Hakadosh Rabbi Chaim Lajser Wartski HaCohen, Ztk"l,hy"d
Descendant of Rabbi Mordechai jaffe
Rabbi Mordechai Jaffe, Ba׳al "Halevushim"
I tried to find information on how ,and I came to the conclusion that he his descendant or through
Hagaon Rabbi Isaac Zajdel, Zt"l(of lask&Ropczyce)
(or his wife)
or through
hagaon Rabbi Majlech halevi,zt"l, (A.B.D. koil=kolo)
(or his wife)

In projects in which you are a partner, have you come across information that can help me find the information I am looking for
?
And another question please: Many of the rabbis involved in the project are my great-grandfathers, but I did not understand how I can help to the project

Private User
12/25/2021 at 2:55 PM

Haim Wartski, HaCohen I appreciate your question and would like to clarify that one thing is 'descent' from an ancestor and another thing is 'ydna descent' from an ancestor. The latter involves only the son-to-son line of descent and is the only type I am addressing here. To the extent that your research involves ydna descent then this project can help you. Otherwise you would need to use traditional methods such as family trees, rabbinical books, and cemeteries, which I do not possess the skills to help you with. As discussed below, the ydna method is very precise, but also very limited: it can only accurately answer the one question of whether you are a son-to-son relative to someone else who has already tested or whose lineage is identified in the project (see next for an example).

Focusing on the ydna strategy, testing as many family lines as you can would be the next best way for you to help yourself and this project. For example, since there are two ydna haplogroups already identified for Ba'al Halevushim, you could compare your ydna to these and see if you match either one. If you do match one or the other, not only would you be adding important evidence to your own research, but also helping to solidify the evidence for the entire research community by providing another confirmation that the identified haplogroup is the correct one.

I understand there can be various obstacles to testing, such as cost, availability of testing in your area, fear of what may be revealed, and the availability of relatives who can be tested: all I can say about these is to do the best you can. If using the ydna strategy proves to be impossible then there is always the hope that others may find a way to make use of this new research method HaShem and geneticists have given first to our generation (and succeeding ones). Think about how history might have been different if this technique has been available in the time of the Geonim :-0

12/26/2021 at 12:46 AM

Private User

I thank you very much for your answer
The only side where I can be son after son is on the side of the Wartski Hachoen family, and there I have the biggest problem, I know who I am a descendant of, but not how. Even the names of my great uncles imply that I am right

As for Rabbi Mordechai jaffe it is through my grandfather's mother, so it is not son after son.
However, if the cost of the test was cheaper, I would definitely consider performing the test. I have no fear of "discoveries" that could be, on the contrary the test can give me a lot of information, I wait for easier times financially

12/28/2021 at 9:04 AM

I have a bizillion Revered Rabbis in my line. I’m the 8th great granddaughter of the Vilna Gaon which I have traced back to 500, almost all Rabbis. I am also of the Jafe rabbinical dynasty. I have threads to Rashi and almost every famous rabbis I studied in Sunday school. I have oral histories as well as well documented proof. I’m in Chiam Fredman’s book and he is my sixth cousin. I would love to join this group.
Laurie Janov Williams

Private User
12/28/2021 at 9:13 AM

Laurie Janov Williams You have some interesting lineages in your background. Please see the project page (URL on first post) for more information about what this group is doing.

1/1/2022 at 8:12 PM

Thanks Private User

I'm a descendant of the Margolis rabbinical family of Lithuania that is related to Schick, Heller, Katzenellenbogen, Isserles, and others. We are in Vol 1 of The Unbroken Chain, Third Edition (2017), about the first 50 pages. I have had several male Margolis surname descendants tested. This is not the same as the ShtengenMargaliot family.

We have a Margolis surname Y-DNA project on FTDNA.

Private User
1/1/2022 at 10:20 PM

Hatte Blejer on hiatus I am grateful for your input. At the moment there is only a Shtengen-Margoliot lineage on the index. If you are able to contribute a Margolis lineage to the Index, this would be very nice. Thanks, Adam

Private User
1/1/2022 at 10:23 PM

PS: I believe I have located the G-M201 lineage of R' Mordechai Margolis Is it possible to obtain a more precise hg than M201?

1/2/2022 at 12:26 AM

My Rubenstein line is G-L830 (actually G-Z18606). My cousin, Gordon Rubenstein, is the same haplogroup as my Margolis cousins. But they have only tested 67 markers and I had the Big Y test done for Gordon Rubenstein. At 67 markers, their GD is 7. My Margolis cousin is willing to do the Big Y. I need to speak with him.

According to Adam Brown, Margolis is AB-54 and he mentioned L830 to me in conjunction with my Margolis line.

Private User
1/2/2022 at 6:07 AM

Excellent, Hatte. Unless you object, I would like to add G-Z18606 as the identifier of the R' Mordechai Margolis lineage, with the source being your Margolis project. Thanks for your work on this family and GENI. Good luck with the ongoing work.

1/2/2022 at 11:58 AM

Private User - Go ahead.

We may need to correct it once we have Michael Margolis tested Big Y. I doubt that Margolis and Rubenstein (really Reib) will be the same end point under G-L380.

1/2/2022 at 1:38 PM

I also have Margolen(?) and Katzenellenbogan and Margoilot (sp) in my tree.

1/2/2022 at 7:42 PM

Laurie Janov Williams - we have a detailed tree on Geni, and we probably know the majority of the family back four generations, but we have found some new family members/descendants in the past year, that go back five generations.

Margolis / Margoliot is a common name that rabbinical families took. We have a Margolis surname project on FTDNA.

1/2/2022 at 7:43 PM

At least 5 different haplogroups.

Private User
1/3/2022 at 2:34 PM

Hatte Blejer on hiatus Five different haplogroups does not surprise me one bit. It can be difficult sometimes to comprehend the scope of genetic genealogy, especially at the population level. I would like to ask you if you could paste the URL of the Margolis FTDNA project here. I have done some searching, but cannot seem to place. Sometimes FTDNA projects are difficult to locate (has happened to me before). Thanks.

1/4/2022 at 2:40 AM

I see there are more than five now.

They seem to have changed the format and don't list names and oldest ancestor and actual results.

Private User
1/4/2022 at 7:31 PM

The above URL seems to be broken or truncated. I found this URL: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/margulies-varients/about. There doesn't appear to be anyone administering the project.

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion