Participants:

• Private
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • (No Name)
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

• Photo by WSM Radio. This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published in the United States between 1924 and 1977 without a copyright notice. Via Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hank_Williams_Promotional_Photo.jpg
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
Private
12/29/2021 at 3:57 PM

I have see a copy his birth certificate on a site that was researching him. He did not have a middle name, period. It is possible that he liked Hank better than Hiram.

Private User
12/29/2021 at 4:26 PM

Thanks for flagging this, Howard. I've removed the middle name. This might be the site you saw: https://joeyallcorn.com/blogs/honky-tonk-history/posts/the-truth-ab...

Interestingly, it appears his place of death is not known with certainty, only that he died somewhere in Virginia or West Virginia. His driver was taking him from Alabama to West Virginia. The last time they spoke, they had just crossed the line into Virginia from Tennessee. By the time the driver realized Williams was dead, rigor had already set in it, so he likely died in Virginia or just over the line into West Virginia. But because he was discovered dead in the vehicle in Oak Hill, West Virginia, that's where his death certificate was issued -- even though he couldn't possibly have died there due to the rigor.

So, I've changed his profile to say that he died in "Virginia or West Virginia, United States," and I'll add an explanatory note about the circumstances.

(No Name)
12/29/2021 at 6:11 PM

Country music singers have always been a real close family
But lately some of my kin folk have disowned a few others and me
I guess it's because I kinda changed my direction
Lord - I guess I went and broke their
FAMILY TRADITION!

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion