Ada d'Avesnes - Sources?

Начала Sharon Doubell вчера
Возникла проблема на этой странице?

Участники:

Упомянутые профили:

Показаны все сообщения (23)
вчера в 1:43 до полудня

What are the primary sources that validate this profile?

вчера в 7:43 до полудня

Not really because we're needing primary sources.

Thanks for looking, though.

Private User
вчера в 8:26 до полудня

FMG has a match, but her name is given as Ida, not Ada.

A. SEIGNEURS d’AVESNES

Avesnes is today known as Avesnes-sur-Helpe which is located in the present-day French département of Nord, about 14 kilometres south of the Belgian border. The medieval castle at Avesnes was constructed in the late 11th century. Avesnes passed by marriage in the late 11th century to Fastre d’Oisy, avoué of Tournai, whose descendants held the castle until it passed by marriage in 1226 to Hugues Seigneur de Châtillon, who later succeeded as Comte de Saint-Pol in northern France.

1. WEDRICUS "Ad-barbam" . The Chronicon Lætiense names "Wedricus cognomen Ad-barbam", specifying that his domain was "apud Fagetum" and that he constructed the castle of Avesnes[740]. Seigneur d'Avesnes. m ---. The name of Wedricus's wife is not known. Wedricus & his wife had [four or more] children:

a) THIERRY (-[1106]). The Chronicon Lætiense names "Theodericus" as one of the sons of "Wedricus cognomen Ad-barbam"[741]. Seigneur d'Avesnes. Robert Count of Flanders confirmed the possessions of Cambrai Saint-Aubert “in villa de Keans” by charter dated 1102, in the presence of “Everardi de Tornaco, Theodorici de Avethuis...”[742]. The Liber de Restauratione Sancti Martini Tornacensis names "Theoderico Avesniensi" as husband of "Ada [filia Hilduini comitis]"[743]. The Chronicle of Alberic de Trois-Fontaines records that the "abbatia de Letiis" was restored by "Theodericum de Avesnis et Aldam uxoris eius"[744]. “Gossuini de Montibus, Theoderici de Avesnis, Theoderici de Aldenarda, [Segardi] de Ceocs, Manasse de Betunia, Fastredi, Walteri de Lens, Walcheri de Chirvia, Anselli de Ribodimonte...” subscribed a charter dated 1084 for the abbey of Saint-Denis en Brocqueroie[745]. m as her third husband, ADA de Ramerupt, widow firstly of GEOFFROY Seigneur de Guise and secondly of GAUTHIER Seigneur d’Ath, daughter of HILDUIN [IV] de Montdidier et de Ramerupt Comte de Roucy & his wife Adelaide de Roucy (-bur Abbaye de Liessies). The Genealogiæ Scriptoris Fusniacensis names "quartam…Hilduini comitis filiam Adam" as wife firstly of "Godefridus de Guisia" and secondly of "Galterum de Aat" and thirdly of "Theoderico de Avesnis"[746]. The Chronicon Lætiense names "Ada" as wife of "Theodericus"[747]. The Chronicon Lætiense names "Ada de Avesnis cognata" of "Ebalus filius [Petronillæ]"[748]. She and her third husband built the convent of Lessies, where she retired after his death and was buried[749].

b) sons . The Chronicon Lætiense names "Theodericus" as one of the sons of "Wedricus cognomen Ad-barbam"[750]. The number of Wedricus's other sons is not known.

c) [GERARD d’Avesnes (-killed in battle mid-1102). Lord of St Abraham. Albert of Aix records that "Gerhardum de præsidio Avennis" was sent as a gift to "duci christianissimo Iherusalem", after having been presumed killed at Assur, and was invested with "castello…ad sanctum Abraham", dated to 1099 from the context[751]. Albert of Aix names "…Gerhardus de Avennis…" among those killed in battle in a campaign led by Baudouin I King of Jerusalem, dated to mid-1102 from the context[752]. It is not known whether Gerard was one of the otherwise unnamed sons of Wedricus Seigneur d’Avesnes.]

d) IDA . The Liber de Restauratione Sancti Martini Tornacensis names "Idam, germanam Theoderic de Asvensis" as wife of "Fastredus"[753]. m FASTRE [I] d'Oisy, son of --- (-before 1092). Avoué de Tournai.

вчера в 8:33 до полудня

Link maven?

Private User
вчера в 8:38 до полудня

FMG: https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/HAINAUT.htm#_Toc77845344

Herman of Tournai (in Latin): http://vlib.iue.it/carrie/texts/herman/restore/298.html#56 (note: Herman wrote circa 1140 about prior events,)

Private User
вчера в 8:40 до полудня

With FMG you often have to track down the original citations, because Mr. Cawley tends to over-abbreviate them and sometimes loses important context.

вчера в 8:43 до полудня

You're a star!

Do think Guerric II Le barbu, II is an erroneos inserted generation?

вчера в 8:45 до полудня

[And you found me Wedric who I've been looking for all afternoon :-)]

вчера в 8:51 до полудня
вчера в 9:13 до полудня

Indications appear to be that they're the same person: Guerric Ou Wâederic

вчера в 9:40 до полудня

[[Ida d'Avesnes Ida d'Avesnes] IDA d'Avesnes], is not the daughter of Guerric II Le barbu, II but the
daughter of [[Wédric II le Barbu d'Avesnes, seigneur d'Avesnes Wédric II le Barbu d'Avesnes, seigneur d'Avesnes] WEDRICUS d'Avesnes]
& his wife ---. The Liber de Restauratione Sancti Martini Tornacensis names "Idam, germanam Theoderic de Asvensis" [Ida, the sister of Theoderic of Asvensisas] wife of "Fastredus"[755]. https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/HAINAUT.htm#_Toc77845344

вчера в 9:44 до полудня

cf THIERRY (-[1106]). The Chronicon Lætiense names "Theodericus" as one of the sons of "Wedricus cognomen Ad-barbam"[741]. Seigneur d'Avesnes. Robert Count of Flanders confirmed the possessions of Cambrai Saint-Aubert “in villa de Keans” by charter dated 1102, in the presence of “Everardi de Tornaco, Theodorici de Avethuis...”[742].The Liber de Restauratione Sancti Martini Tornacensis names "Theoderico Avesniensi" as husband of "Ada [filia Hilduini comitis]"[743]. The Chronicle of Alberic de Trois-Fontaines records that the "abbatia de Letiis" was restored by "Theodericum de Avesnis et Aldam uxoris eius"[744]. “Gossuini de Montibus, Theoderici de Avesnis, Theoderici de Aldenarda, [Segardi] de Ceocs, Manasse de Betunia, Fastredi, Walteri de Lens, Walcheri de Chirvia, Anselli de Ribodimonte...” subscribed a charter dated 1084 for the abbey of Saint-Denis en Brocqueroie[745]. m as her third husband, ADA de Ramerupt, widow firstly of GEOFFROY Seigneur de Guise and secondly of GAUTHIER Seigneur d’Ath, daughter of HILDUIN [IV] de Montdidier et de Ramerupt Comte de Roucy & his wife Adelaide de Roucy (-bur Abbaye de Liessies). https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/HAINAUT.htm#IdaAvesnesMFastreIOisy

Private User
вчера в 10:01 до полудня

Excellent!
Sharon, you see the problem! There are connections on Geni not made by us but are connections to persons who are in the family we are studying which is why we are starting the discussion. Thank you both for your participation. Will read the detail later and catchup

I see with this one also the possibility of confusion regarding Wedric I and Wedric II based on what dates we think we know. there is also confusion regarding the nickname, Ad-barbum is shown in various sources as being used by either or both?

I tend to ask the question because if I get waylaid by having to research ALSO all the attachments to van Gavere it would be a never-ending project.

Private User
вчера в 10:28 до полудня

This reminds me of a typical occurrence we've run into, the fluctuating border between Flanders and France in those days. We have a generation where a man named Rasse had two sons both named Rasse. All three fought at the Battle of Bouvines on July 27, 1214, the younger dying in battle. The elder son died in 1241! What are the chances that 1241 has been confounded with 1214? And, to make it more interesting in a historical coincidence, the elder son died in Bouvines in 1241. The battle of Bouvines took place when Bouvines was in the County of Flanders, but when Rasse died in Bouvines 27 years later it was in Nord, France!

Another example is Reaulx and Le Reaulx, the first in France and the other in Hainaut, only 17 km apart and frequently confused.

вчера в 10:29 до полудня

Thanks David. Very interesting area - and awfully muddled on Geni as you say.

I'm not going to merge Guerric II Le barbu, II with Wédric II le Barbu d'Avesnes, seigneur d'Avesnes until their managers have had a chance to look and decide. I've simply moved Ida d'Avesnes to being the child of the latter, not the former.

вчера в 12:48 после полудня

May be this can help a little (has some sources): https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wederik_van_Avesnes

вчера в 12:49 после полудня

You can try using https://www.deepl.com/translator#nl/en to translate

Private User
вчера в 3:03 после полудня

DeepL translates very well but unless you register, which is free, you get limited. That impacted me when translating Goethals which was many hundreds of pages, I got shut down many times.

Also, copying old text into DeepL means a lot of editing so the translation makes sense.

It does not however translate Latin yet...

вчера в 3:18 после полудня

For Latin you could try Google Translate (https://translate.google.com), I've not found a better tool for that yet.

Private User
вчера в 3:32 после полудня

Agree, Google translate is the only source I've found for Latin. I prefer DeepL to Google because it seems to be able to recognize the nuances of French better, although I don't speak read, or write anything but English so what do I know!

Private User
вчера в 3:49 после полудня

Will confirm that comment, David, as I'm *not* limited to just English. Google Translate, being a machine translation, is very mechanical and literal. And while it seems able to handle classical Latin, medieval clerical Latin tends to throw it too many curves.

вчера в 10:16 после полудня

Thanks Job - you're always so helpful.
The wikipedia article sites no primary sources - not a good sign that the references will, though. Perhaps the managers will be prepared to work through this: https://books.google.nl/books/about/Histoire_de_Cambray_et_du_Cambr...

There are lots of Latin translaters and some great Old English ones too. As long as the language is of Germanic or Romance origin, I quite enjoy transliterating. Dutch is apparantly easier for me to translate than Afrikaans (a derivative of Flemish) is for the Dutch - but that's just anecdotal. Translating the poetry of the Scandinavian skalds is also very rewarding. Probably has something to do with teaching Shakespeare for aeons :-)

Now that I've revealed the level of Geekiness in me, I'm going to hide it back in its corner :-)

Показаны все сообщения (23)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении