John Vinton - Which John Vinton emigrated to Massachusetts in 1643

Начато wayne vinton вчера
Показаны все сообщения (7)
вчера в 4:22 после полудня

Across different Geneology websites I have seen various theories about the origins of the John Vinton who arrived in the US in 1643. I wanted to add my own research to this.
The first John Vinton in the England came from the Pays de Bray, Normandy in 1519. He was a finer, a skilled worker in the making of wrought iron using a new process using a blast furnace and then a finery forge. Often referred to as the ‘Walloon Process’, it had first been mentioned in Namur around 1450 and skilled workers moved as quality iron ore and wood supplies (for charcoal) were exhausted or their prices became economically prohibitive.
I am researching which John Vinton left England in May 1643 and ventured to Massachusetts with other iron workers having had his passage paid by John Winthrop, Jr.
My belief is that the John Vinton who emigrated to Massachusetts likely did so from Sussex, England where successive generations of Vintons had worked as finers in what was then the centre of England’s iron and ordanance/armaments industries.
The original John (Vynton) Vinton in England was known to be working as a finer in the Mayfield area of Sussex, where several finery forges existed, until at least 1552 (Age 58). In 1540, his tax records note him living in Tottingworth, a few miles from the Mayfield forges. He had married an English woman.
I have identified several generations of Vintons living in the Mayfield area and indeed working as finers. John Vinton who emigrated to Massachusetts was employed as a finer at Saugus Ironworks.
Other emigres from Sussex to Braintree/Lynn included: Quinton Pray, a finer, (Mayfield/Frant-7 miles from Mayfield), John Hardman (Frant) and Nicholas Pinion (Warbleton-3 miles from Mayfield)
I think it is safe to assume word of mouth between workers or personal recommendations had some role in recruitment and that it only occurred throughout a limited area.Indeed Quiton Pray’s wife (Joan Vallance) was born in or around Mayfield and lived there until around 1630. She will no doubt have known several Vintons in a Parish of a few hundred people at most. Indeed, the Valyance’s had arrived in the 1550’s from France also. I am presently seeking to find birth details for a John Vinton born in Sussex 1600-1620

Private User
вчера в 4:51 после полудня

Thank you for that great information, Wayne. John Vinton, the immigrant to Massachusetts who worked at the Lynn Iron Works, was my 7th great grandfather.

I'm sorry I can't help with the specifics of John Vinton's birth. My information has him born in 1620 in Taunton, Somerset, England, but I have no good source for that.

вчера в 4:54 после полудня

Here is an overview of the Saugus Ironworks that Winthrop hired the men for. It doesn't give specifics about people, but it's a good overview of the situation. Maybe you could send an email to them and ask if they have anything in the library about John Vinton or a list of the people brought over.

https://www.massmoments.org/moment-details/winthrop-buys-passage-fo...

вчера в 4:58 после полудня

I forgot I had this bookmarked (John Vinton was my 8th Great Grandfather).. It has a lot of details about what they did in the ironworks, who worked there, and lists the men who worked with John at both the Hammersmith Ironworks and later at the New Haven CT works after he moved.
http://npshistory.com/publications/sair/hist-sketch.pdf

вчера в 6:40 после полудня

I think the existing parents Robert and Jane should be unlinked, and the profile should have "parents unknown". There is more probability that his parents were Blasius Vyntam and Eleanor Knolles - as he named a son Blaise and a daughter Eleanor - and they fit the age and location for ironworking areas for probable parents.

I uploaded an article from the 2000 Essex Genealogist Vol 20 - “Glimpses into the English and Continental Ancestry of Certain Braintree and Saugus Ironworkers of About 1650 Vinton Leonard, Pray, Pinion, Tyler and Russell.”
See particularly the Afterward where it discusses John Vinton in more detail (along with others in more detail).

>>8 May 1598, married at St. Mary’s Handworth, near Birmingham, Warwick, Blasius Vyntam and Eleanor Knolles (Eleanor “fam. Henricus Barebon de Wynsdon green” parish of Birmingham and “Blasie Vyntam de pury forge, fyner” (forge at Perry Bar, nearby)

вчера в 6:58 после полудня

Added notes & links (above) to profile, and also this note:

Evidence needed to support birth of this John Vinton on about 1620 at Taunton, Somerset, England, son of Robert Vinton & Jane Vinton

вчера в 7:44 после полудня

I also added something I found on Thomas Leonard of Taunton and his kids who were in ironworks. His son Henry Leonard (c.1681-c.1695) was mentioned in the cited works as being a coworker of John Vinton and both their wives were fined for 'smart talking'.. lol

They were thought to be from the Midlands.. specifically working at Bilston,, STaffordshire before immigration... and the residence of the Blaise and Eleanor Vinton above (possible parents of John Vinton), lived nearby in Handworth, Warwick.
see
https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000187944212982

Показаны все сообщения (7)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении