10,000 Ancestors Limit

Started by Craig Andrew Miles on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 2 posts
Today at 3:27 AM

There appears to be a limit of 10,000 to the list of ancestors returned using https://www.geni.com/list?group=ancestors

Is there any way around this limit?

I tried applying a filter of Gender=Male seeking to extend the reach, but unfortunately the filter is applied after the 10,000 ancestor limit is enforced and I only get around 5,000 of the Male ancestors from the full list of 10,000.

This makes seeing beyond the 10,000 limit, in my case 31 generations, impossible in Geni.

I understand the rationale behind the limitation in terms of computational power to evaluate an ever increasing ancestry depth, and to be honest I am impressed that Geni does so well at this, particularly when compared to its sister site MyHeritage that seems to really struggle with a depth of generations, but if you have a deep tree the 10,000 limit is a very hard boundary to come up against.

I could do something programmatically via the API I guess, different to what I have already done, but it would be nice if there was some kind of workaround to get deeper than the 10,000 limit using the Geni UI.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Private User
Today at 9:01 AM

Well, since you are posting in the The Geni API project the answer should be obvious: Use the API to traverse the ancestor generations yourself instead of using the web-interface as you do. I have done it myself.

Just remember to keep a track of which profiles you already have processed to avoid re-entering the parents of a profile you already have processed in another line - the further back in generations you get, the more ancestors they have in common.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion