James Cohoon (Calhoun) - Gedcom data from the About

Начала Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 сегодня
Возникла проблема на этой странице?

Участники:

Упомянутые профили:

Сегодня в 4:06 после полудня

=== GEDCOM Note ===
ID: I001295 Name: JAMES CALHOUN Sex: M Birth: ABT 1789 in PROB SURRY CO., NC Death: BEF 1880 in ASHE CO., NC Note: 1840 Ashe County Census for Jas. Cahoon head of the household. 1 male 0-5; 1 male 5-10; 1 male 10-15; 1 male 50-60; 1 female 5-10; 1 female 10-15; 1 female 15-20; 1 female 40-50. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was copied from the internet. This is an Ashe County Family. In the 1850 Ashe County Census, this family was in household #1056, very close to William Calhoun in household #1050. This Lydia Calhoun may be a child of James & Catherine. WILLIAM JONES (JOSHUA, JOHN MC_ SEOIN1) was born Abt. 1818. He married LYDIA CALHOUN. She was born Abt. 1822. Children of WILLIAM JONES and LYDIA CALHOUN are: i. WILEY JONES. ii. THOMAS JONES. iii. MARY JONES. James Calhoun appears to be the progenitor of most of the Calhouns in North Western and extreme North Eastern Tennessee. From census records, it would appear that James was born sometime in 1789. We do not know for sure where he was born. We also do not have proof as to who his parents were. His father may have been a William Calhoun, Jr. who was listed in the 1790 and 1800 Surry County, North Carolina census. There is a James Cahoon listed in the 1810 Surry County census. The entry shows 1 male 16 to 26 (James) and 1 female 16 to 26 (Catharine). This 1810 entry would seem to fit very closely with the proposed children of James and Catharine. The first born seems to have been Sarah. Her date of birth on her headstone reads 1806, but later census records place her birth in 1810 or 1811. If this James, in the 1810 Surry County census is the same James that later appears in Ashe County, then the 1810 census seem to fit very well. For a long time, I could not locate this James Calhoun in any 1820 North Carolina census. One day I was thoroughly examining the 1820 Ashe County census when I found an entry that read Jas Kehoon. I had always thought that James had moved to Ashe County between 1810 and 1820 and this entry, I believe, confirms my suspicions. The following entry was found in the 1820 Ashe County census: Head of Household Jas Kehoon 2 males under 10 (William 1814) (Barnabas c1816?) 1 male 26 to 45 (James c1789) 2 females under 10 (Sarah c1810) (Mary c1817?) 1 female 26 to 45 (Catharine c1790) I firmly believe that this entry is for James Calhoun who was in Surry County in 1810 and had moved to Ashe County by 1820. Other related families are also found in the 1820 Ashe County census. Among those are Wm Ashley, Joseph Ashley, and Joseph Rotan. This Joseph (Josiah) Roten, I believe, is the father of Margaret Roten who married William Calhoun born in 1814. In 1830 the household of James Calhoun has grown significantly. The following is the entry found in the 1830 Ashe County census: 1 male under 5 (John W. c1827) 1 male 15 to 20 (William 1814 or Barnabas c1815) 1 male 40 to 50 (James c1789) 2 females under 5 (Martha c1824) (Catharine c1830) 1 female 5 to 10 (Nancy c1822) 1 female 10 to 15 (Mary c1817) 1 female 15 to 20 (Sarah c1810) 1 female 30 to 40 (Catharine c1790) One male is missing, and I'm not sure if it is William or Barnabas. Since I don't know when Barnabas was born, it could be either one. I have identified this male as William because it would seem to fit him more closely. By 1840 the household of James Calhoun has changed somewhat. The following entry for 1840 shows: 1 male under 5 (Felix c1835) 1 male 5 to 10 (James Porter 1833) 1 male 10 to 15 (John W. c1827) 1 male 50 to 60 (James c1789) 1 female 5 to 10 (Catharine c1830) 1 female 10 to 15 (Martha c1824?) 1 female 15 to 20 (Nancy c1822) 1 female 40 to 50 (Catharine c1790) Sarah, William, Barnabas and Mary have married by this time and have formed their own households. I have not been able to find an 1850 census record in North Carolina for James. I assume that he was still in Ashe County and was probably missed by the census takers. Many households are missed in every census and just because someone is missing from the census records of a particular area, does not mean that they were not living there. There is an 1860 census record in Ashe County for James. This is the entry for 1860. 1860 Ashe County census for North Fork taken Jun. 29, 1860 Household #478 James Cahoon age 71 male Farmer born NC Catharine age 70 female "" NC Nancy Eastrich age 9 female "" NC Wesley Carpenter age 21 male Day laborer born NC I don't know what relation Nancy Eastrich(Eastridge) is to James and Catharine. I believe that Wesley is James Wesley Carpenter son of Andrew J. Carpenter and Mary Calhoun and a grandson of James and Catharine. James Calhoun last appears in the 1870 Ashe County census taken on Aug. 18, 1870 for Horse Creek Township. This is that entry: Household #35 James Calhoun age 79 male born NC Catharine age 78 female born PA Nancy age 18 female born NC This Nancy must be the same one that appeared in the 1860 census. The 1870 entry does not show her last name to be Eastrich but Calhoun. It would appear that James Calhoun has died between 1870 and 1880. Catharine is still living in 1880. She is living in the household of her son James Porter Calhoun on Staggs Creek in Ashe County. See the following entry: Birthplace Age Relation Self Father Mother James P. Calhoun 47 NC NC NJ Hariett C. 47 Wife NC NC NC Maryan 16 Daughter NC NC NC Sarah E. 16 Daughter NC NC NC Matilda 12 Daughter NC NC NC William R. 11 Son NC NC NC Lucinda 11 mo Daughter NC NC NC Catharine 92 Mother NJ NJ NJ I have placed Catharine's death after 1880. The census records show her place of birth to be either North Carolina, Pennsylvania or New Jersey. I tend to think that it is New Jersey as several of her proposed children indicate that New Jersey was the birthplace of their mother. If my theories are correct about the linage of James Calhoun, the following shows how he may be descended from the William Cahoon who arrived in Massachusetts in 1651: 1. William Cahoon (c1633-1675) m Deliverance Peck 2. James Cahoon (c1670-1747) m Mary Challoner 3. William Cahoon (1704-1774) m Mary Stanton 4. William Cahoon (1734-1795) m Lydia Harris 5. William Cahoon (c1756-?) m wife unknown 6. James Calhoun (c1789-aft 1870) m Catharine This list is just a theory. I have no proof that this connection is the correct one. There is some thought that my James is descended for William of 1651 in another directions through Guilford County. I have not been able to verify this connection. The one I have presented above seems to be the most plausible to me at this time. It is my hope that someday the parents of James Calhoun will be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Since first writing this narrative on my Calhoun origins, I have come across some additional information. Otey Calhoun, son of Scott Calhoun and Eldie Clark, wrote a book titled "History of a Boy and a Great Breed of Hounds". As the title suggests, the book was mostly about hound dogs. He does provide a little Calhoun family history. It seems that Otey and Barney Calhoun, Otey´s grandfather, hunted together and told him a little about the Calhoun´s. The following paragraphs are taken from this book: The pedigree of man or the family tree of man, as is formerly spoken, is something to behold. Fact is, I guess I know more about the pedigree of hounds than I do of my own family tree. As stated before, my people are mostly of English and Irish descent, except a trace of Indian blood in me. The Indian is one of the most true freedom loving race of American people we have today, or ever have had, as to that matter. You never did hear of them marching on any State Capitol or the White House, demanding integration. No, they fought like demons for their own lands and their own freedom and almost lost it all. So what and how much has this great free nation of ours ever done for them? Almost nothing, compared to what there should have been. I may have a little of that blood in my veins but am certainly not ashamed of it, and there was no integration pressure of demonstrations from any Indian tribes that caused it to be there either. If the good clean cut American white and Indian people don´t preserve, look after and take care of their own affairs, country and lineage, there won´t be any lineage of anything else long, and the country will be over-run with a pack of long-haired screaming hyenas. (Please note: These words are Otey´s and not indicative of my political persuation. His book was written in 1969 when there was a lot of marching and demonstrations going on). You and I may not live to see it, but if things go on as is, some of the youngsters may live to say, they warned us, but we would not listen. Around three hundred years ago, a lot of the old Calhoun family was settled along the Savannah River, bordering Georgia and South Carolina. From here some of them drifted to various parts of the country. My grandfather´s people left the Savannah River country and migrated north across the unexplored Blue Ridge Mountains. They traveled on foot except for pack horses, and finally settled in the section what is now called Grayson County, Virginia, Ashe County, North Carolina, and Johnson County, Tennessee, where many fine Calhoun hounds were bred and hunted for sport as well as to keep meat on the table, hides and furs for shoes and clothing. My Grandfather, Barney Calhoun, was born in this section and his grandmother was a pure Comanche Indian. (My note: It´s hard to believe that she could have been a Comanche as the Comanche´s were a Plains Indian. Could be she may have been Cherokee. Most likely she was neither. I have seen many mountain families claim Indian blood, but so far most have proven to be untrue. I don´t know which grandmother this may be, could be Catherine wife of James or Mary Carpenter Roten, wife of Josiah Roten. Since we do not know Catherine´s maiden name, she may be the one who could be Indian). In his young days, the Blue ridge Mountains were almost un-tamed or unexplored, and I guess on some of his hunting expeditions, he found that on the flat top of the Blue Ridge in Mitchell County, North Carolina, was what suited him most. So he settled down there and married my Grandmother, Rachel Osborn, I hate to admit it, but I know little about her people, except she was close related to the Wilkersons on her mother´s side. (My note: So far, I have been unable to find any Wilkerson (Wilkenson) family in or around Ashe County or Grayson County). Mitchell County was a large county, and in 1913 (actually 1911) it was divided into two counties, Mitchell and Avery. I was born in Mitchell, but now it is Avery. About twenty years ago, while living in Florida, I had several very informative talks with some of the Soperton, Georgia Calhouns and Attorney Julian C. Calhoun of Palatka, Florida, concerning the family tree of about all the Calhoun families that we could rake up any history on, including the great Statesman and Vice President, John C. Calhoun, and come up with the solution that about all of them run right down to the early day Calhoun Savannah River settlers. This ends the paragraphs written by Otey Calhoun. I have been unable to establish any link with the group from the Savannah River area. As of now, there are two areas for further research, the Delaware connection and the Savannah River connection. The following could be the children of James and Catharine Calhoun: Marriage 1 CATHARINE ----- b: ABT 1790 in NEW JERSEY OR PENN Children SARAH CALHOUN b: ABT 1810 in NORTH CAROLINA WILLIAM CALHOUN b: 11 APR 1814 in NORTH CAROLINA BARNABAS COHOON b: 25 AUG 1816 in SURRY CO., NC. MARY (POLLY) CALHOUN b: 21 FEB 1819 in NORTH CAROLINA NANCY ELIZABETH CALHOUN b: ABT 1822 in NORTH CAROLINA MARTHA PATCY CALHOUN b: ABT 1824 in ASHE CO., NC. JOHN W. CALHOUN b: AUG 1827 in PROB. ASHE CO., NC. CATHARINE CALHOUN b: ABT 1830 JAMES PORTER CALHOUN b: 10 OCT 1832 in NORTH CAROLINA FELIX ANDERSON CALHOUN b: ABT 1835 in NORTH CAROLINA

=== GEDCOM Note ===

=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-1697684968@ 1860 United States Federal Census Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data - 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records 1,7667::0
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Year: 1860; Census Place: North Fork, Ashe, North Carolina; Roll: ; Page: 340; Image: 240. http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=1860usfedcenancestry&... Birth date: abt 1789 Birth place: North Carolina Residence date: 1860 Residence place: North Fork, Ashe, North Carolina, United States 1,7667::41034074
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-1697684968@ Ancestry Family Trees Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Database online. Record for James Calhoun
http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=0&pid=932
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-1697684968@ Ancestry Family Trees Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
=== GEDCOM Source ===
=== GEDCOM Source ===

@R-1697684968@ 1860 United States Federal Census Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data - 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records 1,7667::0
=== GEDCOM Source ===
Year: 1860; Census Place: North Fork, Ashe, North Carolina; Roll: ; Page: 340; Image: 240. http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=1860usfedcenancestry&... Birth date: abt 1789 Birth place: North Carolina Residence date: 1860 Residence place: North Fork, Ashe, North Carolina, United States 1,7667::41034074
=== GEDCOM Source ===

=== GEDCOM Source ===
=== GEDCOM Source ===

=== GEDCOM Source ===
=== GEDCOM Source ===

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении