Capt. Johann Georg Lohr - George Lohr of Quemahoning vs George Lohr of Hummelstown

Started by Private User on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Private User
Today at 9:15 AM

I believe there has been a mixup of the two George Lohrs who were at some point living in Lancaster County. The account you have here, is Quemahoning George Lohr who appears in Bedford/now Somerset County, PA as early as 1774 and appears to have been the George Lohr who married Barbara Nagel in LAncaster County 1773. The other George was George Louer of Hummelstown, which was in Lancaster county but is now in Dauphin County, PA. This latter George Lohr was the George who became Captain of the 6th company of the 1st Lancaster Battalion, not George of Quemahoning Township in Somerset County, PA, as he was being taxed in Somerset County from 1775 to 1788 when he probably died, his widow remarrying thereafter to Helfrick Diehl. Both Georges married a Barbara, which probably helped the confusion/mixup, Quemahoning George marrying Barbara Nagel in 1773 and Hummelstown Captain George marrying Barbara Spath in January of 1773, both in Lancaster County, PA. You can do research into the tax records of Derry Township and compare them to the regiment records and you can see the assignments and promotions of Hummelstown George whereas there's no proof that I've seen that Quemahoning George served in the War. The headstone in the photo was placed in recent history, assumedly by DAR or a family member who had concluded that these two Georges were the same person, but I believe the title of Captain belongs only to the Hummelstown George Lohr/Louer.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion