Philadelphia Alchorne (Newnham) - Philadelphia Alchorne has migrated 300 years too early

Started by Anne Brannen on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Today at 1:09 PM

Trying to untangle some of the Alcornes, I found Philadelphia Alcorne Newnham, born in 1479. This made no sense to me; nobody was named Philadelphia in England in the 15th century.

There are all sorts of lineage notes in the Overview, but none of them lead to actual evidence; they are all unsourced family trees.

There WAS a Philadephia Newnham who married a Thomas Alchorne -- here she is, in Wikitree -- https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Newnham-158

and we have her in Geni, though not married to Thomas -- Hilda Philadelphia Newnham -- again, no sources, and I don't know where the Hilda part comes from.

So the impossible Philadelphia needs to be detached from the medieval Thomas Alchorne.

That leaves the rest of her family. I'm suspicious of her sister Charlotte; though the name Charlotte was used in France this early, it wasn't, in England.

Following the line up, there are other issues -- Mary Jane Martin (Hutchinson) -- Mary Jane was not a name at this time; Anastasia Martin -- Anastasia was not a name used in England at this time; nobody else goes up my nose, but there are no sources, and I can't find any yet.

At any rate.

Philadephia needs to go; Mary Jane needs to go; Anastasia needs to go; Charlotte needs to go; and really, if there are no sources for the rest of Philadelphia's family, they all need to be detached.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion