Louis-Alexandre Nadeau - Louis Nadeau, Sr. of Cornwall, Ontario

Started by Horvat Paul on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Today at 10:22 AM

Andre:

I have reviewed your ancestry with interest, and am trying to find the ancestry of my 4th great grandmother, Marie Louise Nadeau. In a biography about her from Northern New York by Richard Cutter, it says that she was the daughter of Louis Nadeau, and born May 15, 1778. She was married to Anthony Lamping on May 26, 1794 at the United Anglican Mission of Williamsburgh. Both Anthony and Marie applied for UEL grants in Cornwall, Ontario. In her petition, it says that she is the daughter of Louis Nadeau, but no mention is ever made of her mother. Louis settled in Cornwall in about 1787, and also applies for land grants in Cornwall. I believe his grant was approved, but I think he eventually abandoned it. Anthony Lamping and Marie (Louise) Nadeau had several children baptized at both La Prairie, St. Regis., and even Montreal. In some of the baptisms, Marie was said to have been of Long Sault, and Massena. Marie Louise Nadeau was almost always just called Marie Nadeau, but in the Montreal baptism of her son Joseph Anthony Lamping, Jr. she is referred to as Louise Nado.

Your Louis Nadeau, Jr., son of Louis-Alexandre Nadeau and Marie-Madeleine Mercier sounds like they could be our common ancestors, but if the data I have seen online is correct, I see some issues. In posts I have seen, Louis-Alexandre Nadeau was b. Mar. 16, 1764 at Berthier-sur-Mer, PQ and Marie-Madeleine Mercier is b. Aug. 7, 1761 at St. Michel de Bellechasse, PQ. Louis-Alexandre Nadeau would only have been 14 years old when my Marie Louise Nadeau was born. The Marie Louise Nadeau that Louis-Alexandre/Marie Madeleine had supposedly was b. June 25, 1794 and d. Sept. 24 of the same year. It is entirely possible that they had two children by the same name, but I have not found any Marie Louise Nadeau in the PRDH or other sources born on the date May 15, 1778 as reported in Northern New York by Richard Cutter. I do find my Marie in the 1850 census for Joliet, Will County, IL. and at the time of the census, she was 72 years old, and this seems to corroborate what was in the biography.

Please let me know your thoughts on all of this information.

Best to you,

Paul Horvat

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion