Mary Ewing - 2nd husband was: William son of William and Jane Holland Steele Findley

Started by VL Mincey on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Today at 11:21 AM

Names all 3 of his wives
William FAG ID 28856925
DAR Ancestor #: A041153
--------------------------------------------------------
This does not list his first wife Margot Russell.
https://ia902608.us.archive.org/4/items/findleygenealogy00hugh/find...
Hon. Wm. Findley, bom Jan, 11, 1741, d. April 4, 1821,
married Mary Elizabeth Cochrane, Mar. 21, 1769, by Rev. John Cuthbertson.
Married Mrs. Mary (Ewing) Carruthers, after Feb. 9, 1790. Ref. Ewing Family Genealogy, pub.
1910, by Joseph Lyons Ewing.
Much has been written of Hon. Wm. Findley and his family
---------------------------------
William Findley married the widow Mary Ewing Cithers sometime before May 31,1800 for at that time a tving "Mrs. Findley* is mentioned in the Farmers Register during a dispute between Findley and John Kirkpatrick.

Mrs. Caruthers had been widowed on Feb 9,1790 in Cumberland Co NJ.

"During the vacancy of Christmas [1799] I went to Philadelphia and purchased books for Carmonsburg Academy," he wrote in the Farmers Register.

It may be that he went after more than books in Philadelphia. In his History of the County of Westmoreland George Dallas Albert says of her, "His second wife was a widow Caruthers, a very beautiful woman, and much younger than he."

She was actually about the same age as Mary Cochran Findley.

Mary Ewing Caruthers Findley, daughter of Maskell and Mary (Pagett) Ewing was born April 26, 1753. She married Richard Caruthers, Dec 19, 1780. He had been born in 1741 and was the son of James and Lydia Caruthers. Richard Caruthers died Feb 9,1790 in Cumberland Co, NJ. They had one child, Richard Ewing Caruthers born Nov 6, 1781.
Mary Ewing Caruthers Findley died Nov 12, 1825.

-----------------------------
Her will from J.V. Thompson Journal

36. Will of Mary Findley
Will Book No 1 Page 138 No 858 of 1825.
States she is of Unity Tp & widow of William Findley Esq & is old & weak in body, contains a good neat clause commending her soul etc. It is my will that my beloved son Richard E. Caruthers and Elinor his wife receive a remuneration for the care or trouble they have had or may have with me.

Wearing apparel & saddle to be not appraised but made use of by my granddaughters as their mother Elinor Caruthers shall direct.

3d I will that to my six grandsons viz William F. Caruthers, John Caruthers, Thomas M. Caruthers, George C. Caruthers, Richard A. Caruthers and James E. Caruthers, sons of Richard E. Caruthers & Elinor, his wife, be given to each one a Family Bible & such other of my books as I have marked with their names.

4th I will that to my four granddaughters, Mary Caruthers, Elizabeth Caruthers, Martha Caruthers & Elinor Caruthers be given a feather bed, Bloater [sic] & pillows & two sheets, two pair of pillow cases, two blankets & a bed Quilt or coverlaid and a bedstead with the appurtenances there of to each, alike in number

5. to Elizabeth Patterson daughter of my late beloved husband William Findley Esq one feather bed, bolster & pillow which he has recd is to be added & given two sheets two pr of pillow cases, two blankets a bed quilt or coverlaid.

6th to Maria Black, daughter of John & Mary Black & granddaughter of my late beloved husband William Findley Esq, the same.

7th Each of my beloved granddaughters, Mary, Elizabeth, Martha & Elinor, a cow to be named for them & be kept in care of their parents & delivered to them.

8th to granddaughter Mary Caruthers, my silver table spoons marked M.E. with this proviso that if she die without an heir, they go to her sister 2 to each & the odd one to the oldest. Likewise that to each of my other granddaughters, Elizabeth, Martha & Elinor be given six silver teaspoons.

9th Silver tablespoons marked F. two to Elizabeth Patterson, two Elinor Caruthers & two to Mary Black.

To William Findley, son of John Findley Esq & grandson of my beloved husband Wm Findley Esq the silver watch that was his grandfather's.

11th other linen to her four granddaughters

12th sorrel horse Heck to be kept in family in care of my beloved son Richard E. Caruthers & my other horse, Tom I give to my said son.

Also my silver set spectacles to be given to my beloved son Richard E. Carruthers &

to my beloved daughterinlaw Elinor Caruthers the silver set spectacles that was her father's,

likewise to my sd son & daughterinlaw be given my two copper kettles & flax hackels coarse & fine.

13th Any books in which I have written the names of my granddaughters Mary, Elizabeth, Martha & Elinor to go to them,

other property to be appraised & disposed of & proceeds be divided equally between her six grandsons viz William F. John, Thomas M., George C. Richard A. and James E. Caruthers to be put to use of them & pd to them by my exrs as they shall come of age to receive it.

Appoints her respected friend Joseph Baldrige Esq & my beloved daughterinlaw Elinor Caruthers sole exrs. Dates & signed November 5th, 1825 & witnessed by James W. Hill& Isabella Hill. Proven Nov 21, 1825 before Robt Montgomery Recd

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion