• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
yesterday at 4:49 AM

See this source for legendary status of his ancestry. What evidence connects to parents Sergeant Gaspard Pietersen Mabille & Sarrentje de Croix du Bois and further up the tree?

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/b/o/w/Linda-L-Bowman-OH/WEBSITE-0001/...

All we really know about the parentage of Pieter
Casparszen van Naerden is that his father was named Caspar, and
that he was born in a place that was either called or sounded
like Naerden. There are no records of Pieter Casparszen ever
using any surname. In fact, the first use of the Mabie surname
in any form by proven members of his family occurred in New
York in 1687. A search of the records for the Dutch Reformed
Church in Naarden, Noord Holland, has proved fruitless. It has
long been speculated that Pieter was of French extraction (a
Huguenot), with the name Mabie having been derived from the
French name Mabille. This story originated in an unpublished
work by E. C. Marshall in the 1890s. In his paper, Marshall
merely speculated that this was a possibility, and never made a
claim of any factual support. However, almost every succeeding
published genealogy has claimed this as a fact. While it is
possibly true, it is wholly without any substantiation. The one
location in Europe that did have people with the Mabie surname
prior to 1650, as demonstrated in various records, was
Scotland.

Private User
yesterday at 5:59 AM

Wow. Erica, this is great. Geni shows Pieter Casparszen and Sergeant Gaspard Mabille as my 8th and 9th ggrandfathers, respectively. The part of the Sergeant Gaspard Pietersen Mabille overview that caught my eye was the speculation of a Scottish connection.
"I think the path that might yield the correct pedigree is that this Mabille line was possibly a branch of the Mabie family that moved from Scotland to Holland during the upheaval of the Protestant Reformation when many English and Scots moved to Holland during that turbulent era. There were also a great many economic opportunities in Holland at that time, with the Dutch colonies; and the Dutch were ahead of the rest of Europe in adopting new financial methods that presaged capitalism. The Scottish were amongst the very first to learn these financial methods from the Dutch, and the torch of financial methods was passed to the Scottish, to allow Glasgow to become the colonial trading center of the world shortly thereafter. There was considerable exchange between the Scottish, who learned from the Dutch entrepreneurs, and the Scottish had a close and deep association with the French nobility, who were often one and the same."

Wondering if you view this a pure speculation. In any event the connection between Dutch, Scottish, and French was entirely unknown to me and, if true, really fascinating.

Private User
yesterday at 6:10 AM

Hi, I just happened to be looking at one of my sources last night. I can't remember how I originally got to it but had it saved on my computer. Perhaps it has already been used as a source here. Anyway the link is http://dorothystewart.net/genealogy/mabee-family-tree/. I myself had been thinking Mabille (the original name) had been a Huguenot name because there are families of UEL's associated with each other (i.e. marriages etc) who are also of that origin, like the Secords (Sicard), who are also associated with New Rochelle, NY, and those names are both listed on a monument in New Rochelle erected to identify Huguenot family names associated with its history. But I also have in my records that even though the original spelling is Mabille, that it's Dutch. Not sure where I got that, but all the family members prior to births in New Amsterdam, going back to 1575, seem to have been born in the Netherlands, except for the matriarch who was definitely French (according to the genealogy I linked you to).

Private User
yesterday at 6:16 AM

One of the sources linked to within that source I put in, in my previous reply, does agree with the non-Mabille origin of the name Mabee/Mabie/etc., and with a British origin of the name. Here it is: https://maybeesociety.org/name.html. Interesting!

yesterday at 6:22 AM
yesterday at 6:33 AM

Private User Thank you for the Maybee Society link. I like to see Geni in sync with family groups such as this.

One thought is that we mix up French speaking such as in Belgium with France. And we can’t undervalue how critical religion was in migrations.

Keep studying!

Private User
yesterday at 3:05 PM

Very interesting stuff. Still finding the connection between the Mabees and the Secords a bit of a funny coincidence but perhaps there were Mabees and Mabilles in the same area in New Rochelle, NY. That must have caused a little confusion!

yesterday at 3:29 PM

As an ex New Yorker, I’ve always been proud of how multi cultural the city is, and have learned - it always was. That, I think, is because of its Dutch origins.

One of my theoretical ancestors has an origin story as Scots > Swedish army > Newtown, now Queens. The battles he supposedly was in are invented. Married a local Puritan gal or two and eventually on to Kentucky.

Private User
yesterday at 4:39 PM

As a born and bred New Yorker, I share your feelings, Erica. And I tend to agree it can be traced to the Dutch influence there. The Dutch focus on trade over cultural identity reminds me of the way my daughter approached playmates when she was very young: What's your name? Oh, never mind, let's play dress-up."
I've found the only drawback to coming from NYC is that when you take that easy acceptance of difference elsewhere, you sometimes run into a very different attitude!

Today at 12:08 AM

Oh, make me homesick! I didn’t have a clue there were different origins except between boroughs.:)

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion