John Alexander Love - Lack of sources and Inconsistencies in Tree

Started by William Brooks on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Today at 1:22 PM

There are several problems with this profile.
Name: There's no source for "John" as a given name. Where did it come from?
Possible sources for a 1680 birth and 1773 death conflict. There's a find-a-grave memorial with an Alexander Love born in Northumberland VA and died in Onslow NC in 1773. The death date is presumably correct. The birth date and location are unsourced. I've reached out to the memorial creator for a birth record but haven't received a reply.

The other find-a-grave source should be the one used for this profile because it names both Alexander and Elishe. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/72995946/alexander-love. Based on Alexander's will, this death date and location is consistent with inclusion of sons Amos and William, and daughter Elizabeth as well as "four youngest daughters." Son Amos had a daughter Elishe, supporting him as a son of Alexander and Elishe.

James Love 1720-1800 Stokes NC should not be included as a son. James was not named in Alexander's will (below). He specifically names Amos and William, then later refers to "my two sons." which implies there's no unnamed son to be considered. Since James would have been seven, he would have been added as "my youngest son" along with Alexander's youngest daughters.

Following is a transcription of Alexander Love's will as originally provided by Lee Bain on the following profile page: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Love-4919

The father of John Love-1269 is sometimes stated to be Alexander Love. The natural reading of the will of Alexander Love indicates that Alexander had two sons, Amos and William, a daughter Elizabeth, and 4 younger daughters. no son John is mentioned.

"In the name of God Amen February the Twentieth 1726 , I Alexander Love of Northumberland County being sick and weak in body but perfect in mind and memory thanks be to God for it I do make and Ordain this my Last will and testament in form and manner following that is to say first I resign my soul to the hands of God who gave it hoping for mercy through the morrills (sic) of my Blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and as for my worldly Goods after my body decently buried and my debts payd (sic) I give in form and manner as followeth: Item; I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth one feather bed and furniture, one great table, one cow and calf, one boar and sow and piggs (sic), one ewe and lamb , one great iron pot and six puter (sic) plates. Item ; I give and bequeath to my son Amos all my land and that I am possest (sic) with to him and his heirs lawfully begotten of his own body and in case my my son Amos should die without lawfull (sic) issue then the said land shall be my son William's and his heirs lawfully begotten of his own body and for the rest of my estate my will and desire is that my beloved wife shall peaceably enjoy and possess during her widowhood and after to be equally divided between my two sons and four youngest daughters and also my will and desire is that my estate shall not be appraised and lastly I do institute and ordain and appoint John Champion with my beloved wife to be my exid. Of this my last will and testament revoaking (sic) all former wills ever made by me in witness w hereof I hereunto sat (sic) my hand & seal the day and year above written." Alexander Love Seal Signed Tested and Delivered in the presence of us William Pasgrist Maurice Jones Winifred Heath (her mark) May 17th 1727 (This will was proved in Northumberland County Court by the oaths of William Pregust and Winifred Heath witnesses thereto and is admitted to record.)

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion