• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 6 posts
Today at 2:45 PM

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know about some improvements we've just released to editing wikitext (profile About, project descriptions, etc).

1. Some of the buttons now have pop-ups that allow you to individually specify the options, and then it will construct the properly-formatted wikitext tag for you; this is especially good for images where there are a ton of options, but also works well for links similar to how Gmail gives you fields for text and URL;
  2. Ctrl-K (or Meta-K for you Mac users) now pops up the link feature similar to Gmail, Zendesk, etc.
  3. Added support for indentation (some users have been asking for this ever since we changed the presentation of the "quote" feature a couple of years ago);
  4. Improved cursor behavior, for example clicking a heading button while the cursor is mid-line will now change the line to a heading, rather than split the line with a blank heading by itself
  5. Improved update/replace behavior, for example clicking the Heading 2 button while the cursor is on a Heading 1 line will change the heading rather than split the line. Bullets and numbers are mutually exclusive, so those buttons replace each other instead of creating a mess.
  6. Clicking the image or link button while inside the code for an existing image or link, will re-load those settings and update the code once submitted.

Kind regards,

Mike at Geni

Private User
Today at 3:32 PM

Thank you, - you forgot to mention one thing, which I discovered today: Wikitext support in event descriptions.

Private User
Today at 5:45 PM

Ooh, yay, I can format my citations in event descriptions now! Thank you so much!

And yaaay for indentation! So many projects can now be fixed.

It's the little things that make the experience nice. :)

Private User
Today at 6:11 PM

Mike, one of the things we used to be able to do was indent header text. If you look at a U.S. state portal example, you can see the original wikitext we used: four indentations, then an italicized header1. It obviously doesn't work anymore, but it used to and it was great for putting big, bold text at the top.

I just tried the new indentation, and it doesn't work with header text. Can that be changed? Or can you recommend an alternative?

Today at 8:12 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, Ashley. We'll look into preserving that functionality.

Private User
Today at 10:11 PM

I don't like WikiText. Do not think my brain has managed to absorb a single bit of it since you first introduced it. I like plain simple text. Do not use Zendesk, have a gmail account I basically fo not use, never bumped in to any of those features on it (for which I am grateful).

I saw it was now being used in Event descriptions - it made me unhappy.

Wish there was a way for those who like it to have it, the rest of us not have it.

Could you put some effort into restoring ability to get to Move on all Tablets ? That I would find helpful. Also fixing so it is not so likely to choke on Add Family on a Tablet or cell phone.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion