Hu-Pa-Ri-Shi-Pi-Sash "Black Medicine" - Multiple entries of same name, same time, same place

Started by Private User on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Private User
Today at 9:16 AM

A note for future reference...
While researching the Gros Ventre woman named Black Medicine who was incarcerated as a patient inmate in the Canton Asylum, it became frustratingly apparent that the name Balck Medicine was a common Indian name for both male and female that crossed tribal affiliation, with at least a dozen people who were NOT THIS PERSON identified. Following is a list of those whom I have identified to date who existed in the same time and place from different tribes, Sioux, Mandan, Arikara, Assibone, and Gros Ventre (with my notes for reference):

Black Medicine, b. 1895 Mandan @ Fort Berthold, ND - granddaughter of Short Bull
Black Medicine (Pejutasapawin), b. 1844, Sioux @ Standing Rock Agency, ND - daughter of Hupawastewin Odelia Black Medicine (Travois)
Black Medicine, b. 1854, Knief River Indian Reservation, Mercer County, ND - the stepmother of Albert Little Owl (aka Alfred Mandan?) two land purchases of 80 acres with Alfred? making two of 320 acres
Black Medicine (Wa Kan Safa), daughter of Moves Blanket, b.1886 Montana Assibone,
Black Medicine (Me Ska Sa Ipse), Mandan, Fort Berthold, b. c.1856, mother of Old Bird
Black Medicine (Esh-ka-sip-se) b. 1871 Mandan census Fort Berthold, daughter of Goes Out and Good Woman
Black Medicine wife of James Horn, b. 1869, Fort Berthold census line 10 (Note: this could be her 2nd relationship as she had a son named Oscar Horn)
Black Medicine aka Medicine Black b. 1895 g. daughter of Short Bull 1900 census line 27 father is Mandan mother is Gros Ventre, tribe is Mandan
Medicine, Black b. 1855 wife of Crow Belt, would be 66 when/if admitted to Canton
Black Medicine b. 1880 Gros Ventre census 1890, mother Hunt to Kill, grandmother Cedar Woman, much older brother White Duck b. 1857
Black Medicine, b. 1854 Military Service = Male

The words "Black Medicine" should be used together as one name, whether given or surname is undetermined. Medicine, Black is likely inaccurate in the context above.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion