Littleberry Hicks - Two John Hicks sons of Littleberry

Started by Private User on yesterday
Showing all 9 posts
Private User
yesterday at 9:42 AM

I am aware that Littleberry Hicks' son John B Hicks moved to Hickman County TN, lived next to father Littleberry and is buried in the same cemetery. Some people post that a John Hicks born in SC, lived in Cumberland County KY and then moved to Fentress TN. Is there any proof that the John Hicks of Fentress County TN is related to Littleberry Hicks? The John Hicks of Fentress County TN lived close to Allen Hicks. Can anyone shed some light on this family?

yesterday at 10:10 AM

The Y DNA says yes.
Fentress County Historical Society has been trying to find more info for some time

yesterday at 11:04 AM

I'm hoping to build my nephew's YDNA up to the Big Y.
I have revisited our HICKS this past week and am still trying to get all the siblings and first cousins in place but without records, it is very slow going.

yesterday at 11:07 AM

Siblings, HALF siblings, first cousins and double cousins.
The Fentress County Hicks are the same as the Morgan County Hicks and the Wayne County Kentucky/formerly West Virginia as well as he East Tennessee. I think the Civil War split them. And the same names just adds to the confusion.
I really hate this time period of American History but I suppose it could be worse as far as research goes :")

yesterday at 1:07 PM

I am a direct descendant of Littleberry Hicks, I only show the son, John B Hicks, moving to Fentress County. However, the comments by Cynthia Curtis are probably the most accurate.

Private User
Today at 8:58 AM

Thank you for your reply Cynthia and Don. You're correct, those same names, over and over. I have done a lot of posting of children, brothers, sisters, etc. You are welcome to revisit my tree again. Mary Fountain Hicks of Morgan County married her first cousin (Joseph?) from Fentress. What a tangle.

I know Litteberry had a brother Shadrach and wonder if some of his children are involved in this bird's nest. Thank you for your help.

Today at 9:00 AM

Private User I don't see a second son named John for him on his profile.
I have been adding DNA cousins to the Big Tree and working backwards.
Sometimes folks have wrong people in their personal tree or the Thrulines (for Ancestry matches) are often incorrect and they actually come and go on a daily basis, oddly) so if at any given time someone without a locked relationship tab on their profile someone has too many children or same named children, it just means they are being worked on or some gedcom plunked them there.
I started revisiting these guys last week and am hopeful we can get some of these family groups complete. What a task. Probably near impossible but I want to try.
I see many Y Hicks cousins with no tree here on Geni and that is another place to add here from. Such a daunting task and I DO wish more people were aware of Geni and trusted it is a great place to build and make a correct/proven tree.
Happy New Year, cousins.

Today at 9:18 AM

https://www.geni.com/path/Littleberry-Hicks+is+related+to+Barbara-J...
https://www.geni.com/path/Littleberry-Hicks+is+related+to+Don-Hicks...
https://www.geni.com/path/Cynthia-Curtis-A183502-US7875087+is+relat...
Don and I descend from Adry Hicks
The Coalfield Genealogical and Historical Society has done a lot of research on him as so many of us Hicks descendants have over the years.
They wrote here https://www.cghs.club/:
"For some reason, Adry traveled to the Chickasaw Indian Reservation in Oklahoma sometime in 1855/56 about the time his youngest daughter Martha Josephine was born. While in Oklahoma he died and was buried there in the Simon Cemetery in Love County. Adry had traveled to the Chickasaw Indian Reservation in Oklahoma sometime in 1855/56 about the time his youngest daughter Martha Josephine was born. While in Oklahoma he died and was buried there in the Simon Cemetery in Love County."
per Quarterly Newsletter "Generations"
For me, connecting him properly has been huge. Many have added him as a son of a Joseph Hicks but there are several Joseph Hicks in area who have been conflated. Records are missing. There is an Adry Hicks in the first census in 1790 Adri Hix I have yet to connect to us but KNOW he is kin. I'll want to renew my Fold3 at some point but I have a project for hat census he was in that I have neglected: https://www.geni.com/projects/Pages-81-and-82-of-the-Schedule-of-th...
The Fentress County info talking about Chrissie Nobles and Chrissie Mills and Wylie Downs has been misattributed to men of same name and there were actually two women named Nancy Downs who get conflated as well. (See https://www.google.com/books/edition/History_of_Fentress_County_Ten... page 124)
We have been fortunate to get some of these straight in Geni and hopefully someday at Wikitree and FamilySearch as well but in the meantime, it is a puzzle with no picture and several pieces missing for sure.
I believe many of these men were brothers and they married women who were sisters. This is appearing to be the case for Mills. S working on two different family groups.
Yesterday or the day before I added a John Hicks who the Ancestry user had as born in South Carolina with a Banfield wife born in england. These are obvious duplicates of John and ELizabeth (Barnfield) Hicks with misattributed sources and an incorrect spelling of Elizabeth's last name. Rather than delete when I added them and connected, I merged. I wonder if this is who you may have seen?
I'll look for a South Carolina connection but I don't think that info was based on any credible research. I hate the way most "hints" are WRONG and just keep coming back...
You will see it on profiles HERE on Geni when people upload a Gedcom and have someone born in America but Baptised in England lol

Today at 9:25 AM

http://genealogytrails.com/tenn/fentress/biosH.html pulls from that Fentress County book:
JOHN HICKS
John Hicks was born in Fentress County, Tennessee, in 1843. He is a son of Joseph Hicks and Nancy (Downs) Hicks. Joseph Hicks was born in 1811 and died in 1898.
Paternal grandparents: John Hicks and Chrissie (Mills) Hicks.
Maternal grandparents: Wylie Downs and Chrissie (Nobles) Downs.
Joseph Hicks was born on Sulphur Creek nine miles east of Burksville, Ky.; came with his family to Fentress County in 1817, and settled in old twelfth district on Clear Fork on what is now known as Coonrod Pile place, which had been opened up at that time by Pile. Joseph entered a tract of land adjoining it and lived there until a short time before the war, when he moved over into Morgan County and died there during the war. Joseph Hicks was a school teacher and was also a Justice of the Peace before the Civil War. The Hicks family have resided on Cumberland Mountain and all have followed farming and hunting for a living. Wylie Downs came from North Carolina, and also settled in old twelfth. The Hicks were originally from the same county. When the Hicks came to this county Marsha Millsaps and her husband lived in the only house in Jamestown. It stood on what is now the Yelton lot. [Source is: History of Fentress County, Tennessee; by Albert Ross Hogue (1916). Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion