Thomas Bolitho - Did Thomas Bolitho have a son William? If so, which one?

Started by Private User on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
Private User
yesterday at 10:21 PM

Thomas Bolitho & his wife Nora Pascoe only have three children baptised to them in the parish register at Wendron; Grace in 1651, Thomas in 1653 & Simon in 1665. Obviously, there is a BIG gap & it is probable that they had more children; perhaps privately baptised, or simply not recorded.

In the Geni tree there are several "extra" children; Nora Bolitho who is definitely not their child. She is much later & a child of a Simon Bolitho. I have put in her correct dates. Urias Bolitho has no baptism in the register & no Bolitho families at that point have anybody named Urias. He is a mystery & while he could belong, there is no reason to think he does. The names of his children do not in any way overlap with this Bolitho family. He should probably be unlinked I think.

The next dilema is William Bolitho. Unfortunately, the register at Wendron is not the original one; it has clearly been rewritten & errrors and omissions may well have taken place. It does not indicate any private baptisms & many people cannot be found. Some of them may have come from a neighbouring village.

There are unfortunately TWO William Bolitho who marry at pretty much the same time who do not have a baptism recorded. From their marriage dates, likely to have been born about 1660.

1. William Bolitho who married Jane Martyn on the 16th Sep 1684 at St Wendrona.In Bolitho trees, they have been ignored & all the children of William Bolitho asigned to William & Grace. From the Bishop Transcrips [& a bit of logic & I admit, a bit of guesswork, it seems the majority of the children actually belong to the familly of William & Jane; Symon 1688 definite, Wearne 1690 [name of Jane's father], Symon 1693, Thomas 1695, Nora 1698 fit in here too & goes with Thomas as "parent" names. She could belong to the other couple, but a tight squeeze datewise. Her baptism does not name a mother. Edward in 1700.

2. The "second" William Bolitho married just slightly later on the 14th Feb 1684/1685 [modern date 1685] to Grace Prior. Their only defite children are Grace in 1692 [& even that is a guess based on the name] & Mary in 1697 [definite]. Ann in 1686 colud also be theirs, as could Nora in 1698 [but for the moment, I have put Nora with the other William.

Unfortunately, none of the peolple concerned left a will. Not Thomas or Nora or either of the Williams.

Although on of the William Bolitho COULD be a child of Thomas Bolitho & Nora Pascoe, the can't both be. I favour William Bolitho & Jane Martyn [ mostly because they had a son Thomas & probably a daughter Nora], but there is no proof for either of them.

In the interests of "Full Disclosure" William Bolitho & Jane Martyn appear to be my line, through their son Thomas Bolitho, baptised in 1695 as the son of William Bolitho & his wife Jane.

This family line needs detatching from the Helston Bolitho family too [a few generations back]. I started a discussion there too

What should we do Erica Howton?

Jenny

Today at 6:25 AM

Happy new year Private User !

Can you post links to who needs to be detached and who needs to be moved?

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion