Mary Magdalene Anne Carnes (Smallwood) - Mary Smallwood Carnes is NOT Mary Magdalene Carnes

Started by Ed Carnes on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Today at 2:21 PM

Mary Smallwood and was the wife of John Carnes. She was born in 1790 - most says in NC bit is says "Georgia" on CW Carnes death certificate) and died in 1866 in Comanche Co TX. and is buried there. You are getting her mixed up with Mary Magdalene (last name unknown to me) also called "Polly" who was the wife of Thomas Carnes and is buried in Villa Rica. There is NO such person named "John Thomas" Carnes, They were two brothers - John born 1786 and Thomas 1787, both in NC. I have the will for each of them. Thomas will talk about his wife "Mary M. Carnes" and John's mentions his "beloved wife Mary Carnes".

Mary Smallwood Carnes was my GGGG Grandmother, and I just visited her grave on 29 DEC 2023 on Downing cemetery in Comanche CO TX on Hwy 16 6 miles north of the town of Comanche..As far as I know Mary Magdalene Carnes is buried in Villa Rica GA

This post Thomas Carnes and John's children mixed up.

John P. Carnes was born in 1786 in Mecklenberg Co. NC. He died in Dec 1857 in Polk County, GA. He is presumed to be buried in GA although there is a small cross marker next to his wife’s grave that indicates it is ether his body was brought there or it is just a placeholder next to her.

He was married to Mary Smallwood about 1808. Mary Smallwood was born in 1790 in NC (GA per C.W. Carnes death certificate). She died on 15 Apr 1866 in Comanche County, TX and is buried in Downing Cemetery (SW part), 6 miles north of Comanche. John Carnes and Mary Smallwood had the following children:

Rachel Carnes born GA 1808
Brooks Carnes born GA 1810
James Richard Carnes. born GA 1813
Shipley Carnes. born GA 1824
Elizabeth Carnes. born GA 1825
Mary Carnes. born GA 1826
Clayton William Carnes. born GA 1832
Nancy Carnes. born GA 1833

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion