Thomas Geers, MP - Who was the father of Thomas Greer’s wife, Elizabeth Cope?

Started by Erica Howton on yesterday
Showing all 2 posts
yesterday at 7:40 PM

Elizabeth Geers wife of Thomas Geers, MP shows as daughter of Sir John Cope, 3rd Baronet Cope of Hanwell and Lady Elizabeth Cope

Her parentage is sourced:

From the book, "Baronetage of England," printed for John Stockdale, published 1806: Sir John Cope, eldest son of William Cope, 2nd Baroent, married (1) Mary, the daughter of Sir John Walter, Knight, who died leaving him with one daughter, Anne. He married (2) Lady Elizabeth, daughter of Francis, Earl of Westmorland. the had three sons -- Anthony, William (who died young), and John -- and two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth.

isabel smith Had written to profile managers with this comment:

I was searching for the wife of a Thomas Geers died 1700 and came across the memorial in a church at the village of Icombe, Gloucestershire. This records his wife Elizabeth as the daughter of a William Cope of Icombe married to Elizabeth daughter of the 1st Earl of Northumberland. Elizabeth (Fane) Cope had a second marriage to John's cousin, William Cope of Icombe. It was her daughter Elizabeth from the second marriage who married Thomas Geers (her second husband, the first a Thomas Witney). The error appears in Geni and Wikitree. I do not have the expertise/reputation to correct it. If you agree with the above --?

Evidence is here:

http://www.newman-family-tree.net/Elizabeth-Cope.html

And especially, here, attached to profile:

www.geni.com/media/proxy?media_id=6000000202757855833&size=large

I am going to presume “Baronetage of England” did not make a mistake, and that Elizabeth Geers had an older half sister.

Any comments, Susan Angeline Schumacher Lostetter

Thank you, Erica. I will get this to Isabel.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion