Charity Copeland Neely - Charity Copeland does not belong in this family.

Started by P Bryant on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

A few years ago, someone got my 4th great grandmother Charity Copeland mixed up with the Neelys/Neeleys somehow. It's taken me a long time to figure out how they mixed them up, as it always does when people don't attach their original sources.

The person that you have Charity Copeland mixed up with here is apparently Ann Nancy Neely/Neeley, the daughter of Richard Neely/Neeley. (See e.g., https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LWF4-8BF ). Richard Neely had no daughter named Charity Copeland (Copeland is a surname, by the way.)

Ann Nancy Neel(e)y married a John Brent. Charity Copeland, an entirely different, unrelated person, married a John Bryant Sr (my 4th great grandfather). Based on that, someone got them mixed up and simply changed Ann Nancy's name to Charity to "make it fit." The birth and death info shown here was taken from that of Charity Copeland Bryant, and mixed up a little.

For example, I posted on the internet years ago that court documents regarding the estate of John Bryant Sr. prove that Charity died sometime AFTER September 11, 1822 (9/11/1822). Based on that, other people have inaccurately stated that she died ON 9/11/1822. And now, that has somehow become transposed to 11/9/1822. And misinformation spreads like wildfire on the internet.

What you should do here is change "Charity Copeland" to Ann Nancy and get rid of the birth and death info until you can find primary evidence for the proper birth and death info for Ann Nancy Neely/Neeley.

Sorry if this sounds blunt or rude, but I've spent thousands of hours cleaning up messes like this and, like me, it gets old.😉

Best wishes.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion