Never do merges of private profiles

Started by Raymond Bernard Parent on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 2 posts

Merges should not be done with any descendants of the merging profiles that have private profiles. This creates duplicates in the tree that can only be fixed by the person or persons that created the private profiles, that would be any living person. My tree keeps growing with all these duplicates that I cannot do anything about, can't even find out who created them.

Solutions would be appreciated from Geni curators.

I am not sure what you are actually trying to say.

Are you saying nobody should ever knowingly create duplicates of a Private Profile born less than 150 years ago,?
Are you suggesting Curators should in some way punish anyone they think has done so?
If they did, that certainly might help solve the problem you are discussing.
But - it is hard to prove someone purposely created duplicates, and I think it would be wrong to punish someone for that if it was an honest error and they had used Search to try to see if the profile already existed, and despite trying did not find it before adding what turns out to be a duplicate.

As for something "that can only be fixed by the person or persons that created the private profiles," that is not accurate.
Private Profiles that are not Geni users can be edited and merges requested/approved
by any manager of that profile,
by anyone in the Family Group of any manager of that Profile,
and by anyone in the Max Family of that Profile.
If the person who created that Profile does not fall into one of those categories, then they can do nothing to edit or Merge that Private Profile.
(Unless they are a Curator or Staff, and the Profile was born over 150 years ago)

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion