Will the Real Kenelm Winslow Please Stand Up?

Started by David Lee Kaleita on Monday, January 11, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts

Wow! This part of the tree is REALLY messed up. Clearly it's in part due to having 3 (or maybe 4) different Kenelm Winslows who were all living at the same time, were related, but were indeed different people.

I've actually repaired this part of the tree a couple of times already- only to have it get messed up again when yet another person merged the wrong two Kenelm's togather. And when I use search to look for other instances of this branch that haven't been merged in yet, I see several people in Geni who ALREADY have one or more cross-generational cycles in them- many of them identical to one another. This makes me think that there is a GEDCOM floating around on the internet somewhere that people are grabbing and then repeatedly uploading into Geni.

Does anyone else have what they believe to be a clear view of which Kenelm had which dates of birth and death, which parents, and which spouse?

Private User

This might be my fault today. Checking my messages this morning after a few months of not doing it, I had over 30 merge requests. I started out being careful and reviewing them but after a few good matches I just started accepting them all. Does the merged profile just change for everyone when somebody else merges? Did my info override everyone elses? I'm new to the discussion board here so I don't know how much of these merge issues have been discussed but shouldn't there be some sort of mass approval required when someone decides to change a merged profile?

Sorry for the confusion I caused. I'm not sure how to avoid it in the future! my tree is based on a professional geneology search done YEARS ago. I don't have all the info verified and because it's so old, I doubt it's very accurate. I would hate for people to end up with all my unverified info just because I was accepting merge requests.

Private User

Rachelle - You merged some profiles for me, and it really helped. Thanks.

My information is also quite old. I got it from my great-uncle, who did some research but based most of his information on research done by HIS great-aunt. So I'm not sure how up-to-date my information is.

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

David ... I was trying to work over there, but i just don't have the access rights to get anywhere ...

Thanks Carole. Yes, a number of errors seem to originate from profiles that were added by you in the October timeframe. FYI- as a repair guide, I have started using the site at http://winslowtree.com/tree/descendtext.php?personID=I58&tree=W... because it very closely agrees with(and significantly expands upon) my own research.

If anybody cares to help out with fixing this part of the tree, I suggest that we use this site as a guide- at least for the time being.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion