Started by Private User on Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 29 posts
Private User
7/14/2010 at 10:19 PM

@Mary Winslow (Chilton) is one of about 30 Mayflower passengers in my family tree. I am trying to eliminate the many, many duplicates that have occurred with merges. There are as many as 20 entries for the same person. I spent several hours eliminating the duplicates for Mary and her husband John Winslow as a starting point. Please help me make this historical tree accurate. Thanks for any help.

7/14/2010 at 10:24 PM

Hi Mary, that link didn't come through. Can you try it again, or just paste in a link to the URL of the profile?

7/14/2010 at 10:29 PM

Mary,

Thanks for starting a separate discussion.

While we're asking you for things <grin>, would you be kind enough to provide a good on line source you feel is reasonably accurate? I like to have something to refer to when doing merges.

Many thanks - I'm deleting my other comment.

Private User
7/14/2010 at 11:04 PM

I'm rather new to posting so thanks for the info. The Mayflower passengers are well documented through the Mayflower Society and various other sources online. There are other organizations such as the John Howland Society, one of my grandkids' ancestors through their other grandmother. The trees on Ancestry.com seem to follow the official documents fairly well. Thanks for any help.

7/14/2010 at 11:23 PM

I'm putting the URL's here for my own reference, if you don't mind.

This profile looks like the main one:
http://www.geni.com/people/Mary-Winslow-Chilton/600000000066948481

Some good reference material is:
http://www.themayflowersociety.com/
http://www.pilgrimjohnhowlandsociety.org/

I sent you a request to "collaborate." If I get confused I'll leave it alone and post back on this thread for more assistance. Sound like a plan?

Private User
7/14/2010 at 11:24 PM

For anyone researching Mayflower passengers,a good website is www.mayflowerfamilies.com.

7/16/2010 at 6:16 AM

I have been working on cleaning up Richard Warren, "Mayflower" Passenger and William Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony and would be happy to help anyone with confusion on these two pilgrims.

7/16/2010 at 6:36 AM

Richard Warren (Mayflower Pilgrim) is your fifth cousin.
Governor William Bradford III is your 6th cousin.
John Winslow, Sr is your 6th cousin.

So apparently I have a dog in this race. Who knew. Thank you, Geni.

John Winslow, Sr.

7/16/2010 at 6:37 AM

I am not confused - other than how to fix some of the egregious errors that have crept in to the tree associated with the Bradford family. I'll watch as you work on it. Thank you - and good luck

7/16/2010 at 6:47 AM

Pointer to a parentage clarification discussion here:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/show/6000000009336741692?msg=600000...

Private User
7/16/2010 at 7:22 PM

Edward Winslow Sr. and Jr. Wives
I see some progress in the Mayflower tree, but there is stil incorrect information about the wives of the two Edward Winslows.

1.Edward WInslow Sr. (Not on the Mayflower( was married to Magdalene Ollyver. Three of their sons were Edward (Jr), John and Gilbert.

2, Edward (Jr.) (Mayflower passenger) was married to (1st) Elizabeth Barker (Mayflower passenger) who died in 1621. He married (2nd) Susanna White (Mayflower passenger) whose husband William White was a Mayflower passenger who died 1620.

B. Gilbert (Mayflower passenger) later returned to England and died there.

C. John Winslow (Fortune passenger) married Mary Chilton (Mayflower passenger).

Anyone who knows how to make these corrections, thank you!

Private User
7/16/2010 at 7:25 PM

EDWARD WINSLOW (Jr.)

I saw another error. The father Edward Winslow Sr. was NOT the Governor of the Colony. It was Edward Jr. who was married to Elizabeth Barker, then Susanna White.

7/16/2010 at 7:38 PM

Robert, please provide links to the profiles you are discussing. It can be especially confusing when they have similar names. just type the @ symbol and a name and then check if the name pops up at the bottom of the box you are typing in. If that doesn't work, just copy and paste the number of the profile. Makes it a lot faster to fix errors.

Private User
7/16/2010 at 8:17 PM

@Edward Winslow Sr.
@Magdalene Ollyver
@Gov. Edward Winslow (Mayflower)
@Susanna White-Winslow (Mayflower)
@William White (Mayflower)
@Elizabeth Barker (Mayflower)
@John Winslow Sr. (Fortune)
@Mary Winslow (Chilton)
@Gilbert Winslow

These are the Mayflower passengers and related family that I mentioned in the previous posts. I'm still learning how to post so sorry for the confusion. I accidentally posted from my husband Robert Arnold's webpage. I didn't get any pop-ups when I added the names above. Mary Arnold

7/16/2010 at 10:54 PM

Hi Mary,

The @ thing doesn't always work for me either. I just grab the URL.

I think these are the "main" profiles for the pilgrims mentioned:

Edward Winslow
Magdalene Winslow
Gov. Edward Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger
Susanna Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger
William White, "Mayflower" Passenger
Elizabeth Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger
John Winslow, Sr.
Mary Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger
Gilbert Winslow, "Mayflower" Passenger

It's good to get them on one list like this. We can more easily see differences in naming conventions and work to bring them more into alignment. We can also see who "owns" the profile (listed as "Managed by"). Some of them I collaborate with, some I don't, so I will work first on trying for collaboration rights. I do that by requesting merges.

Private User
7/17/2010 at 7:32 AM

Thanks Erica, I will have to figure out how to grab the URL. I have requested numerous merges over the last few days but haven't got many takers. After my original clean tree was damaged, I became reluctant to merge too, but then decided it was the only way to try tot fix errors. Mary

Private User
7/17/2010 at 7:42 AM

A major error in the above profiles is that John Winslow Sr. was the brother of Governor Edward Winslow, NOT his son. John's father ws also named Edward.

7/17/2010 at 7:46 AM

Hi Mary,

I just copy and paste from the address bar. I'm very fast at it. :)

Do you export out your tree on a GEDCOM file and save it to your computer? Geni.com makes it very easy to do. That way I feel comfortable that my "real" genealogy work maintains integrity.

Once I hit "the cloud" I figured I might as well give back what it gave me.

I'm getting some decent response on the merge requests; too soon to tell, really. It's holiday season. I've been doing some unraveling and re-merging back down the line while I wait for the merge requests to come through. Don't look. It may get uglier before it gets prettier.

There's another fellow who's been working away on another corner of the Mayflower tree. I imagine he'll pop by.

And I want to keep this discussion visible so more people join in if they are able.

Private User
7/17/2010 at 5:00 PM

@Hannah Howland (1637-1687) was not married to John Tinkham. It was her granddaughter Hannah who was married to Mr. Tinkham.

7/17/2010 at 9:22 PM

This profile looks more or less correct: Hannah Bosworth. Is there another I'm not seeing?

Private User
7/17/2010 at 9:32 PM

Hannah Howland, the daughter of Mayflower passengers John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley, had husbands Jonathan Bosworth(correct) and John Tinkham (wrong) on the tree. John Tinkham was the husband of another Hannah, her granddaughter. Perhaps someone removed John Tinkham from the wrong Hannah. Thanks.

7/17/2010 at 10:24 PM

It is probably best if you give a link to the Hannah that needs the break from John Tinkham

Private User
7/18/2010 at 7:24 AM

I can't find info on how to include the URL link. Could someone let me know? Thanks.

Private User
7/19/2010 at 1:32 PM

Anyone have info on this person? Is she a Snow or is she a Paine? Thomas Paine has a daughter by this name. Couldn't find much info to give me clarity of what to do with her.
Phebe Paine

7/24/2010 at 8:37 PM

Like others here, I'm amused to find that the 'profiles mentioned' box has my 11th great grandfather and 12th great grandfather listed. I had no idea. Geni's cool for that.

Private User
9/15/2010 at 11:02 AM

I found a great reference for intermarriages between Mayflower descendents that contains lots of good info. It's www.mayflowerfamilies.com/mayflower/mayflower_intermarriages.htm. This should help clear up some of the confusion.

9/15/2010 at 12:52 PM

Thanks, Mary!

Believe it or not (shock and awe), I am seeing clearance in the thicket. Pretty soon we'll be ready for major proofreading on *all* the Mayflower pilgrims.

12/5/2013 at 2:23 PM

I'm not sure if this is how it's done, but I'll try. According to the Geni site, Wiliam Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony was my 6th Cousin, 10 times removed, on my Father's side.I have no idea if there is more but I will check.

12/5/2013 at 5:35 PM

I clicked "share this link" , copy, and now

http://www.geni.com/path/Gary+Lee+Page+is+related+to+William+Bradfo...

Paste

Showing all 29 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion