John Alden's parents

Started by Noah Tutak on Monday, August 16, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
8/16/2010 at 2:58 PM

I'm removing John Alden's parents as no one has found any substantial evidence to support them. However, the leading theory is that his parents were [6000000003132905025] and [6000000003132921425]. These are the parents I am removing.

8/16/2010 at 2:59 PM

That should read [[6000000003132905025][ and Jane Alden.

8/16/2010 at 2:59 PM

One more try :-/

George Alden

Private User
8/16/2010 at 3:10 PM

Thanks Noah.

To anyone with an interest in this tree:

The reason I requested the removal of parentage links to John Alden is due to the multiplicity of theories and utter lack of evidence to support any of the theories.

From the About Me box on John Alden's profile here:

"PLEASE NOTE: Efforts to locate his birthplace and parentage have so far been inconclusive. Although he joined the Mayflower at Southampton, co. Hampshire, England, no records have been found of John in Southampton, and he was not necessarily a native of that place. HIS PARENTS ARE UNKNOWN.
FOR A DETAILED BIOGRAPHY, PLEASE VISIT http://www.alden.org/our_family/aldenbiography.htm "

For the purposes of keeping my sanity... and keeping a clean tree... I am systematically removing all parentage links to John Alden as the profiles get merged.

This is also done to keep people from complaining about us supporting one theory over another.

The opinion of the legitimate sources of Alden genealogy... is that these theories are without merit (a polite way of calling bullshit).

Jason P Herbert

Private User
8/16/2010 at 3:18 PM

Good approach.

8/16/2010 at 4:31 PM

There are many, many examples like this in the Big Tree. I hope we don't need to start a public discussion for every one of them.

Orlando Bagley, I

Private User
8/16/2010 at 5:32 PM

The French Canadian branch is a mess.. I am trying to correct it but its an uphill battle. I wish people would not assume that because the last name is the same, they are related!

8/16/2010 at 5:49 PM

"I hope we don't need to start a public discussion for every one of them."

Perhaps we can develop a "standard protocol" and methodology to indicate "parents are unknown, various theories proposed, non proven?"

Such as:

"John Alden's Unknown Father" ?

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion