HELP Deluged by Brendan Malloy and other's Mergers

Started by Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) on Sunday, November 7, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 22 posts
11/7/2010 at 4:25 PM

Geni appears to have changed something while I was taking my Sunday nap. My Recent Activity page is filled ad infinitum with notifications of SINGLE mergers done by collaborators and since Private User was busy this afternoon, I have to keep hitting More and still having found other more relevant Recent Activity. I went into settings and could not change this.

Private User
11/7/2010 at 4:36 PM

Yes something has changed. "Family News" on the homepage has become "Recent Activity", and all activity is shown one activity at a time, rather than the previous format of "User merged duplicate profiles for A, B, C, D and 8 others".

You can Filter Recent Activity. I think Filter to private only may be the way to go.

Also the Recent Activity stream seems to be running about 16 hours behind current time.

Don't blame Brendan! (or me for my merges ...)

11/7/2010 at 4:48 PM

No, I know it's not any one person's mergers that is the culprit. I loved my cousin Brendan Molloy :) This was a VERY badly thought out revision clearly. Someone needs to report it, I guess me. It looked like there were forum discussions on it from today, but I had trouble accessing the forum links.

Private User
11/7/2010 at 4:58 PM

Hatte
1. What is there to report and to whom? I am sure it is a new "feature" rather than a bug.
2. I can't see any forum discussion on this.

11/7/2010 at 5:29 PM

Geni is aware and working on it. Thanks, guys.

Private User
11/7/2010 at 5:37 PM

I got my very own discussion and you spelled my name wrong? :)

We completed so many merges this weekend that Geni couldn't keep up. We merged all weekend and they took the weekend off. A perfect storm.

Sorry, I'm not doing any more merging until the server can catch back up.

The tree is getting clean though. It's all good :-)

11/7/2010 at 5:42 PM

Ah but I spelled it correctly in the hyperlink to your profile ID, which is what counts.

I'll relax and try not to have withdrawal from not being able to read my usual Recent Activity notices.

I work in IT (I know it doesn't seem like it) so I'm sorta tolerant of quirky behavior, but I'm sure that Pro users like my mom are super aggravated by things like this. So to be avoided.

11/7/2010 at 5:44 PM

I could tell you worked in IT! I used to work in IT, could you tell?

11/7/2010 at 8:47 PM

But I'm more of a manager and have gotten rusty at the details of implementing IT systems as time has gone by. And I'm finding that Geni doesn't behave on my Mac with my configuration in nice ways. I'm having issues with the pop up menus like what I mentioned about adding you Erica to the project and now with trying to set the filter on Recent Activity. I can't scroll down or up to the top or bottom (depending). It either doesn't allow me to reach the top or bottom or the pop up closes when I scroll. This is not how other applications behave and I use a LOT of online applications so I assume that there is an incompatibility or setting or version issue. Windows has its own issues and I'm happy to not be on Windows, but I do run across issues here and there because I'm not as familiar with Mac OS.

Private User
11/7/2010 at 9:06 PM

I'm on a mac and I love it. Firefox. In the tree view, there are so many profiles that I only show 1 generation up and 1 down.

11/7/2010 at 10:31 PM

Everyone who's ever done any sort of IT Security has mac's at home. Wonder why that is.

Private User
11/8/2010 at 12:37 AM

Haha. I flooded myself...

And I'm only on Windows because when I was going through school, AutoCAD was no longer supported on Mac OS. Also, these days, it seems like Macs are kind of exotic outside the United States. Sure, you run into the occasional Mac retailer, but not really all that often.

As to tree view - my viewer has been stuck on 1 up and 1 down for some time. I figured it was because of the trains of duplicates (some with pink boxcars, some with blue) that seem to inhabit the middle of the tree still. Looking forward to being able to reset the viewer to 2 or 3 generations without worrying that the viewer will freak out while scanning lineages.

11/8/2010 at 12:41 AM

Will pinging this path between up break you further?

Capt. Thomas Cocke

Private User
11/8/2010 at 12:45 AM

I've seen much worse than that, even today...

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000002453715498

11/8/2010 at 1:58 AM

Took a full minute to load on a three generation default setting. Poor curator - make that plural. Make that a team. Working on it for a year or so now. Maybe longer. But hey! Only one duplicate left. (((shhh)))

Private User
11/8/2010 at 9:21 AM

Used to be that the three generations around Bernard of Italy would just simply stall out. I was quite pleased when the merges finally got that down to the point that I could actually open the tree view.

I like to call it this part of the tree the Great Carolingian-Capetian War Zone...

11/8/2010 at 1:28 PM

LOL! But I'm not sure -- where the Scots in the mix?

Private User
11/8/2010 at 2:25 PM

I'm sure they are in there somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to find someone's link to the Mongols in amidst it all...

11/8/2010 at 3:02 PM

I think I was a guilty culprit too. My goal was to eliminate the 2500+ simple merges that I had. I was very proud that I got it done, sorry it was at the expense of irritating others!

Private User
11/8/2010 at 3:20 PM

Hi Lori: I'd say that 2500 merges was a pretty cool goal to pursue... I imagine you are well-practiced now in figuring out which are the good merges and which are the ones that should be rejected. I'd suggest setting a new goal for 2500 more...

11/8/2010 at 3:50 PM

Ben,

You've figured out that Lori is one of our amazingly cool Ninja curators. She swoops in silently and fixes big messes. I need to find her the Witch in Her Family in gratitude for all she's done for my family trees.

Private User
11/8/2010 at 10:44 PM

Hi Erica:

Not sure that's something I can help out too much on. There is the Scottish Witch Database that might be of help. I didn't see if you included that one or not in the resources for your Witch group...

http://webdb.ucs.ed.ac.uk/witches/

Does she have any ninja ancestors from New Mexico? That'd be a good place to hunt for witches... I would think that they even hunt witches there today in parts when things start getting boring. :) (And that's in the "Blue" parts of the state...)

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion