• r S
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
r S
11/28/2010 at 5:20 PM

I wonder if there are any documents written during Maria's life with her full name. I am wondering if it is possible that her middle name was not "de Ceu" but "Abreu". This was her grandmother's last name and seems more logical. Also, I have her birth year as 1870 based on Adelaide's birth certificate and the fact the I have documentation that her sister Maria Gloria was born in 1871. I have a death certificate for a Maria Freitas born in 1870 died in 1942. He husband's name was Joseph and she was buried at the San Jose Mission. The informant on the death certificate did not know the parents but under the father wrote "Abreu", perhaps assuming that Maria de Ceu or Abreu used her maiden name as a middle name. Also, this Maria Abreu Freitas died at a hospital in Centerville in Alameda county but was buried at the San Jose Mission. These little mysteries are interesting to me. Perhaps you know something, perhaps not.

r S
11/28/2010 at 5:44 PM

I was wrong about the origin of the Abreu name, but it is in the family. The Silveira surname went four generations from Manuel and then switched to Abreu. My 6x great grandfather was Francisco Abreu.

Private User
11/28/2010 at 7:26 PM

not sure. The 'de Ceu' was taken from some handwritten documents of Adelaide Florine Sargent 's though it is possible that that de might be spelled du. (The handwriting is barely legible).

r S
11/28/2010 at 7:35 PM

I guess in a way I am figuring these things out by writing them out. I guess I am actually sort of the de facto expert on the family, although I never really though of myself under those terms. So, sorry if I go on asking you questions you have no way of knowing. This is all new and you are my first real genealogy collaborator. Its cool. I hope the intensity of my interest isn't disarming. I have no family where I am and genealogy fills a big void.

Private User
11/28/2010 at 8:12 PM

not at all. It's great to collaborate with someone else who shares the same hobby/addiction!

Sometimes it helps to bounce questions off of a completely neutral person, so feel free to do so.

In this case, the name Du Ceu was taken from the photo I sent you entitled 'Sisters". I didn't initially upload it because I didn't know who everyone else was, but now I do, so I'll fix that know.

**Looking back at the photo more closely, I see it's actually "du Ceu" not "De Ceu" I'll fix that too.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion