Quite selfishly I need to understand better how to input data for my Dutch ancestors.
1. What is the historical period break out / change? For instance, English conventions changed a couple of times: with the adoption of surnames (ca 1200s); with the adoption of middle names (ca 1700s). But my understanding is that this may be different in different countries.
2. What are the rules for baptismal names?
3. What are the naming patterns? (a sub paragraph, I know, but would be helpful for me: for instance, if the convention is that "families may have used Johann as the first name for multiple generations" that is helpful to me).
4. What were the "usual" ways names were anglicized in the United States? (another subparagraph)
5. How do Dutch Americans names now differ, if at all, from names in The Netherlands?
6. Appropriate citation data welcome.
Nickname [to be relabeled 'also known as']
Birth name [to be added; use in "about me" in the meantime]
Prefix [to be added; use in "about me" in the meantime]
In the Netherlands allways existed surnames, but someones used only the familyname as surname, others only patronyms (example:Jansdaughter or Klaasson) and someones used both at the same time. Also they changed using during their lifes.
After 1800 Napoleon ordered every dutch person to choose a familyname and then it happened that 9 sons of one father choosed everyone an other familyname and this clan had then 10 different surnames. In Friesland and Groningen was yet a long time usable to use both surnames the new choosen and the patronym.
On Rodovid we have the clan field added to profiles so we can search also all families on Clan name. But it is a pity that also on Rodovid most users never read how to work and do what they themselves think what is right. Also there are fields abused. !
Royals were in the Netherlands the same as else in Europe, they had a familyclan, but mostly not mentioned, they were mentioned by their temporary titles and geographic area.
Medieval citizens, not the nobility par example:
grandfather Willem Barendsz, father Gerrit Willemsz,son Frederik Gerritsz
grandmother Mientje Pietersdr, Jannigje Teunisdr, Neeltje Jansdr