Irish genealogy

Started by Private User on Sunday, January 16, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 42 posts
Private User
1/16/2011 at 6:06 AM

I would like to start this discussion about Irish genealogy as I noticed a lot of people hitting a brickwall especialy when the ancestors emigrated from Ireland to other countries, which happened an awful lot back in the days.
Geni can be a great way to re-unite a lot of Irish ''lost families'' if people take the time to enter the data that they have on Geni.
Maybe be can share problems, usefull tips and links here on this discussion forum

Private User
1/16/2011 at 6:14 AM

Private User
Irish surnames I am researching:

Breen - Dublin city
Callaghan - county Cork
O'Connell - County Cork
Daly -County Cork
Gallagher -County Cork
Healy - County Cork - Donoughmore clan

1/16/2011 at 8:24 AM

Wonderful! I dont have Irish (well, I have SCOTS-Irish) but I love the culture and want to learn more.

Have you thought about our Projects tool to develop permanent presentations by event, location or family?

Private User
1/16/2011 at 8:36 AM

That might just be an idea Erica, as soon as I get the hang of this all I will look in to that idea. Especialy location and family could be a hit.
Thanks for the thumbs up :)

1/16/2011 at 8:42 AM

I have a brick wall with my Scots- Irish in Antrim. The name is rare in Ireland, Kelly :-). A project on the Scots - Irish sounds like a great idea. I think most of the Scots - Irish ended up in Antrim because it is just across the channel from Scotland.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 8:58 AM

Hi Eldon, the name Kelly makes me believe this is the Irish side and not the Scottish :)
I was more thinking of emigrated Irish in general and of course this will include Scottish-Irish and Irish-Scottish .
Send me a message with the details if you would like me to have a look at that brick-wall I see can I help, but with a name like Kelly I will need an estimated birth or baptism year

1/16/2011 at 9:13 AM

I would be happy to collaborate in a project on Irish Emmigration as I have such links in my own tree (actually I would link it to my project 'the Palatines) who were Protestant refugees sent to Ireland by Queen Anne. Some settled and some went on to the Colonies and some went to the colonies later.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 9:39 AM

My Great Grandmother is a Fitzgerald from Ventry on the Dingle Peninsula in Kerry. I've been to the house, but there are were so many Fitzgerald's there around the late 1800's that I can't be sure on any of the documents that I find. Out of 6 families on their street, 4 were Fitzgerald and there are not house numbers. My Great Grandfather is completely unknown. Wouldn't tell anyone his history. He was from Offaly, but there are a million Molloy's there.

The church just put their records online last year. It's the best source of information that I've found.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=links
http://www.eneclann.ie/Research/index.html

1/16/2011 at 9:42 AM

Sounds like you need a Molloy Family Project, Molloy.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 10:03 AM

Right I will be very honest with you all, I am very new here and do not have the handbook Geni for Dummies handy, I would like to set up a project for irish Emigartion if people are interested in this.
I only started on Geni a couple ofdays ago, I forgot I had created an account in 2009 :( when I was looking for a discussion about Irish emigration I found none so I started this. Any input is more then welcome, all I have is years of expperience of finding Irish ancestors for other people and I believe there are more people like me out there who can be a source of information to others.
It would be great to have a project/forum where we can share information, add sources and have general discussions

1/16/2011 at 10:06 AM

Annemarie, my aunt told me that her father always told her "we are Scottish not Irish" his father Alexander Kelly and mother Mary Kelly Were Presbyterian. Married in Cullybackey Presbyterian Church, Craigs Parish, Ballymena, Antrim I have a source for this

1/16/2011 at 10:15 AM

So why don't we start with an event / location or two as a focus point?

Geni is easy to use and addictive, so watch out. :)

What would be an interesting event? I was thinking County Cork as one Project, and then for the Scots Irish, an Antrim Project?

1/16/2011 at 10:24 AM

I'll be your Huckleberry, if you are thinking County Cork. I too joined Geni some time back and "forgot" about it. My "requirement" is the surname HALL and MURPHY. My Hall family are from County Galway but married Murphy from Ballincollig. This Murphy family emigrated to Massachusetts, Wales, and England.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 10:29 AM

Was only joking Eldon, there are as many Kelly's in Scotland as there are in Ireland, and the name Sterling is a bit of a give away for their Scottish descent.
For Presbyterian records you might be better of to hit the United Kingdom records for Antrim as the Irish are not in the habit to have too much information on that. Do you also have the sourceproof that Mary Stirling was born in Ballymena ?
It does make a lot of sense that they married in the Presbytarian church if they were Scottish, after all the Scottish planters introduced the church to Ireland in the seventeenth century
The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) could have the records that you are looking for, or did you check there already ?

Private User
1/16/2011 at 10:34 AM

Can a project have sub-projects ?
For example, one for Ireland in general and then per county ?
My experience is that people do not know where in Ireland their ancestors came from , Saying that it would be nice to have the projects

Private User
1/16/2011 at 10:43 AM

Ok think we start of with the project 'The Irish emigrant'' how does that sound ?

1/16/2011 at 10:46 AM

Irish Emigrant to the US?

1/16/2011 at 10:48 AM

Hmm ...

The Irish Emigrant: USA
The Irish Emigrant: Australia
The Irish Emigrant: etc (other countries; you all tell me)

etc.

A nice way to hook up globally.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 10:59 AM

Just my thought, great minds think alike ? :)
The start is made first project is created, THE IRISH EMIGRANT !!!!

1/16/2011 at 11:01 AM

http://www.geni.com/projects/The-Irish-emigrant

Awesome. And then subprojects / associated projects by where they emigrated to (all over it looks like!)

What's the chance we'll get them all mapped into Geni. :)

1/16/2011 at 11:01 AM

Annemarie, I believe the name Stirling indicates from the area of Sterling Scotland. Have not found anything there yet but mostly looked on Electric Scotland. As far as Ballymena, They seem to be in a surviving part of the census for there. The problem is there are two Mary Sterlings :-(. My cousin has a copy of the page in the Kelly family bible which says Balleymena so I believe that is correct. PRONI has nothing. I am sure you know about the destruction of public records in Ireland. That seems to be a dead end. Everyone recommends hiring a genealogist in the area who can check the search records and I am considering that but hope to find something in Scotland on line before I spend the money on that. One site, www.rootsireland.ie had the marriage info also which I paid for the only thing more I got was the name Rev. H Hamilton.

1/16/2011 at 11:03 AM

You know what always intrigued me? The Sandhogs who built the NYC subways. They were mostly Irish immigrants and it was dangerous work.

Also that would relate to "Gangs of New York." Heh. I need to get the "Rumrunners and Moonshiners" project going.

1/16/2011 at 11:04 AM

We seem to be getting so many projects going that I can not keep track of them :-)

Private User
1/16/2011 at 11:05 AM

Oh yes have to get the Moonshiners going haha
The link to the Irish emigrant project :
http://www.geni.com/projects/The-Irish-emigrant

1/16/2011 at 11:09 AM

Is there a way to create sub projects without starting a new one and then adding it?

1/16/2011 at 11:10 AM

No, not yet. But we can do "related projects" -- there's a little menu on the right to "associate" projects with each other. Almost as good.

1/16/2011 at 11:11 AM

At least project search works really well.

You know what feature I like a lot? The way it associates surnames so easily. List one name and they all pop up. Very sweet.

Private User
1/16/2011 at 11:14 AM

Ok we will use related projects for the different countries or Counties in Ireland, feel free to create them. :)

Private User
1/16/2011 at 11:21 AM

I will get busy and create a related project just for usefull sources and links that will help people to find irish ancestors.

Showing 1-30 of 42 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion