Geni Konkani Translation - जॆनी कॊंकणि अनुवाद

Started by Akshay Bangera on Thursday, February 24, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 28 posts
2/24/2011 at 8:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I have created a translation for Geni in Konkani, the state language of Goa and minority language in Karnataka, Kerala and Maharashtra and one of the official languages of India.

Konkani writers may please peruse the following link and give their much valued feedback.
Godspeed!,
Akshay
http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Template:Konkani_translation

2/24/2011 at 9:52 AM

Akshay Bangera Such templates are not used officially any more. You shall just activate Konkani language in Geni Tr8n.
Private User can help you in this.

2/24/2011 at 10:11 AM

Lauri Kreen You've brought glad tidings :) i think i wrecked the other language templates in wiki.geni/localisation. I do need help with this. Thank you for your support

Private User, could you please help me crank up the Konkani (कॊंकणि) language translation??

Private User
2/24/2011 at 10:18 AM

Akshay, best of luck!

2/24/2011 at 10:22 AM

Private User Thank you very much indeed Victar :) I suppose I incorrectly added the Konkani language template on the "Translations" main page. Thanks for rectifyint the main page.

Private User
2/24/2011 at 10:41 AM

Yes, as Lauri pointed out, those templates are very out of date and many phrases have since changed.

I have created a glossary for Spanish which you can use as a template though I imagine you'll have enough work on your hands with translation.

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php?title=Glosario_espa%C3%B1ol_%28Espa%...

2/24/2011 at 10:44 AM

spot on!! my aching fingers dread it but i'll get working on the glossary

2/24/2011 at 10:46 AM

Akshay Bangera - This template was good training for you.
You should anyway wait until Michael adds Konkani Language to this table: http://www.geni.com/tr8n/language/table
and probably makes you manager for this language. Only then you can translate all 5831+ phrases to Konkani.

2/24/2011 at 10:52 AM

Lauri Kreen Thank you for the timely intervention. I shall await the addition of Konkani.

Private User
2/24/2011 at 10:58 AM

Private User, can you hook him up?

I'm no linguistic expert to the region, but you may want to use Marathi as your fallback language, which is a feature of the tr8n engine. Also use other related languages like Gujarati to make comparative translations.

Cheers.

Private User
2/24/2011 at 11:01 AM

And Hindi of course which is probably the most translated language of your language group on Geni.

2/24/2011 at 11:25 AM

in the meanwhile I checked out the tr8n language table link Lauri provided. I couldn't find the Google and Facebook locales. I submit the ISO codes for reference sake:-
ISO 639-1 None
ISO 639-2 kok

Private User Hats off to the polyglot!! you're a very well read person.

The Devanagari script, which is used by Indo-Aryan languages like Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi, Nepalese (the neighbours in Nepal), and also by Slavic languages like Romany in east Europe , is also used for Konkani. I shall be using the same script.

cheerio :)

Private User
2/24/2011 at 12:00 PM

This is by the way the complete list of languages: http://www.geni.com/tr8n/language/table

2/24/2011 at 12:21 PM

Private User Thank you for that input Børn. I had a peek at it only to find that Konkani *[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konkani_language] is not on that list. Lauri Kreen informs me that Private User will have to append that list. Thank you once again.

2/24/2011 at 9:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I have created an account at tr8n.org.

Konkani is not available on the list at Tr8n as well. I have sent a request through email to Michael at Tr8n to action the same. I suppose the Tr8n gentleman is the same person as Private User

Private User
2/24/2011 at 9:39 PM

Tr8n.org is nothing more than a testbed. Alerting Michael like we've done is the best way to go about it. If we don't hear from him, I'll talk to Geni directly.

2/24/2011 at 9:47 PM

Much appreciated, Private User :)

I wonder how technical terms will be translated. do we have Konkani words for terms like GEDCOM??

2/25/2011 at 5:28 AM

The Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore adds technical words to Indian languages. Most technical words in Indic languages are Sanskrit-based.Konkani has the added advantage of havinl loan words from Persian, Arabic, Latin and Portuguese.

GEDCOM can be translated as कुटमरूकवैज्ञानिक सुचनाधारा संवहनोपकरण (कु.सु.सं)

2/25/2011 at 6:06 AM

Why you need at all to translate International abbreviations and formats?
GEDCOM is acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunication.
It can have just "explanation" in different languages...
How you will translate: jpeg, pdf, paf, doc, xls etc?
How you are translating Geni and Geni.com? ;-)

P.S. I'm not talking about transliteration/transcription into non-latin alphabet.

2/25/2011 at 10:22 AM

Lauri Kreen, hahaha. i'll loose every single strand of hair on my scalp if I go to translate jpeg, pdf, paf, doc, xls. "Geni" will simply be transliterated,and file formats and "geni.com" will stay as is.

Private User
2/25/2011 at 12:10 PM

BTW: On the page I linked to there was clear instructions on how to add a new language. What is the status?

2/25/2011 at 12:42 PM

"Don't see the language you're interested in? Let us know at translate@geni.com."

2/25/2011 at 12:43 PM

Thank you for keeping a tab on this discussion Private User . I sent a mail last week to translate@geni and got a reply instructing me to post it on project "Translations".

Thereafter, I not only prepared a template at wiki.geni but also posted that template in project "Translations" . In a bout of enthusiasm, I also posted the template on the project "Translations" main page, an error which Private User thankfully, rectified.

Lauri Kreen was kind enough to submit that wiki templates were obsolete and advised me to wait till Private User added Konkani to Geni Tr8n. I went to the Tr8n site and created a profile there only to find the same languages list whose link you, Bjørn, provided. I also sent a mail to the address provided on Tr8n to add a new language.

All in all, we will have to wait for Michael adds Konkani on Tr8n.

Godspeed!!

Private User
2/28/2011 at 4:12 PM

Mike Stangel, Noah Tutak, we haven't heard from Private User on this.

Private User
2/28/2011 at 5:56 PM

Konkani language has been added and enabled on Geni. Akshay, I made you the language manager for that language. Sorry for the delay.

Private User
2/28/2011 at 6:07 PM

btw, the complete list of languages that tr8n supports is here:

http://wiki.tr8n.org/index.php?title=Tr8n_Languages

We enable languages per our users requests. So let me know if there are any other languages you would like us to enable.

2/28/2011 at 10:25 PM

Private User Thank you very much indeed for adding Konkani to the list.

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion