Hartford founders

Started by Randy Stebbing on Saturday, April 23, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts
4/23/2011 at 8:57 AM

This looks like a great project. I added a couple of finding aids as well as located a dozen profiles that belong to the project. Some of the profiles have 60+ collaborators so the profiles "about me" section is pretty messed up. I cleaned up a few to start with.

--Randy

4/23/2011 at 9:07 AM

Thank you Randy! I guess we're having a Connecticut month. I may start Middletown next but have to figure out which ship they're associated with.

4/23/2011 at 9:30 AM

I added Richard Lyman, John Olmstead, Elizabeth Marvin Olmstead, and a link to the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford.

I suggest you add James Hutchison who is an Olmstead descendant and working on the Olmstead family.

4/23/2011 at 9:33 AM

It looks like some came on the Lion and some on the Increase for Hartford.

Private
4/24/2011 at 7:18 PM

How does one add information or sources for these
men of early Hartford?

4/24/2011 at 8:02 PM

Hi Ethel

One nice thing about Projects is the ability to add a document to the Project. Then multiple profiles in the Project can be associated, or "tagged" with document. Then that document can be used as a validated source.

There are some screen shots on http://www.geni.com/blog someplace or in http://help.geni.com/ FAQ I hope -- I'll look for links -- but in the meantime, this is how to add a document to a project:

1. upper right hand corner - actions menu
2. drop down - add documents
3. on the right - plus button - add a new document hyperlink
4. 3 tabs: post a new document (from hard drive); post a new link (from internet); create a new document
5. When done, "upload documents"

4/24/2011 at 8:15 PM

The information about each of the original proprietors on this site is quite good and I recommend it. Look under Founders. I've been using it to add to the About Me or to verify that a Geni profile is indeed a Hartford founder through matching data fields.

http://www.foundersofhartford.org/founders/

4/24/2011 at 8:16 PM

Shall I add James Hutchison? Since he's a descendant of a number of these founders?

4/24/2011 at 8:33 PM

I've known for some time I was a descendant of one of the more well known founders of Hartford, [Rev. Thomas Hooker, Jr. Thomas Hooker], but I found a new benefit of working on this project today. It turns out that I'm also related to [Deacon Edward Stebbins Deacon Edward Stebbins]. (10th ggson). But interestingly enough, not through my paternal line with the last name of "Stebbing" but through my mom's ancestors. I probably never would have discovered this connection with working on the project:)

--Randy Stebbing

4/24/2011 at 8:42 PM

Erica's model of having these projects around a Colonial American town has paid off for me and Private User as well.

I discovered approximately 8 families from either Roxbury, MA or Milford, CT that I was a direct descendant from through the projects that Tammy and I and Private User have.

In fact Tammy and I discovered that we were both descended from four shared sets of X great grandparents: Riggs, Johnson, Strong, and one additional.

i expect I'll discover this about Hartford as well.

Isn't it exciting Randy?

4/24/2011 at 9:10 PM

Good for you for adding that site as a document. I used to do that but lately have been adding Sources at the end instead.

4/24/2011 at 9:10 PM

I added your link as a document to the Project repository Hatte thanks~!

Randy when I started looking into early CT towns I saw that they came on over with Rev Hooker, so I got all excited about him and very curious, as this is like "Elder" Brewster of the Mayflower, isn't it.

A congregation would follow a minister off to the new land. Kind of amazes me.

4/24/2011 at 9:11 PM

Hatte when you merge there's a little icon to show if a profile has a source attached. So I now upload and associate documents as much as I can so that icon will show.

4/24/2011 at 9:14 PM

In terms of adding people I think the more the merrier. James has a passion for history and does very well with documenting. He's still learning the geni application and I think getting comfortable with projects is a great way to do it.

4/24/2011 at 9:16 PM

Yes Erica, the same was true for Milford, CT that they came with their religious leader. I think that it was the case for the majority of the early towns. I am sure that there is a book about this somewhere.

So you are saying that if the icon shows, people might read the background or not do bad merges?

4/25/2011 at 1:45 AM

More in "data resolve." If there is a conflict between two profiles go with the on that shows "sourced facts" is the idea. Just like ancestry.com -- only instead of sourcing another ancestry tree, we have REAL source.

4/25/2011 at 7:53 AM

That's good but of course whenever I get excited because there are "sources" they are world tree...

Private User
4/25/2011 at 10:00 AM

As a Connecticut historian, this warms my heart. :) I do believe we have detailed genealogies on most of the founding families in the State Library, so I will check next time I am over there. I've also been meaning for a while now to go photograph the graves in the Ancient Burying Ground, so that might be a weekend project for me in order to get those up on their profiles.

I am moderately friendly with the genealogist for the Society mentioned above...do we have any persistent unresolved questions about particular profiles you'd like me to pass along? In the meantime, I'll pick some unattended profiles and get working.

4/25/2011 at 10:06 AM

My Williams family from Taunton ended up in Hartford too, but later. However my (and Marv's) Phelps family and Richard Lyman from my Stowe / Hawley / Beecher / Lyman project are founders.

4/25/2011 at 11:32 AM

Ashley,

If you do end up making a trip out to the cemetery to take photos...

The Hardford Ancient Burial Grounds page on find-a-grave.com lists 2,162 interment profiles:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=640502

Roughly 1/10 of the find-a-grave profiles for that cemetery have a gravestone picture attached to them. But there are also 110 unfulfilled photo requests for headstone pictures. If you were to get some picts of currently missing ones I'd be willing to upload your Hartford gravestone picts to find-a-grave.com and attach them to the correct profiles there.

I'm assuming that you'd take care of uploading them to their geni.com profiles.

Next time I do a photo survey of a cemetery I've told myself that I'll make sure the photo's are geotagged with the latitude and longitude coordinates of each gravestone. It would be fun to do a "mashup" of a complete cemetery showing each gravestone as a clicklable icon on a map of the cemetery using the google maps API.

--Randy

Private User
4/25/2011 at 12:51 PM

Randy: I work literally about 150 feet away from the Ancient Burying Ground as a historical researcher, so thankfully, it's not too bad of a trip! :) I'm also on FindAGrave and would certainly upload pictures in both places.

However, there are only a very tiny number of graves (out of 6,000+) still visible there since skyscrapers were constructed over most of the cemetery in the '60s. For that reason, I'm afraid most of those requests will remain unfulfilled. That's also why most of the pictures connected to profiles on FindAGrave are of the main gate or the general monument and not individual graves.

4/26/2011 at 9:55 PM

I don't collaborate with the manager of this profile that I believe should belong in the project: Unknown Profile

4/26/2011 at 10:14 PM

I added William Parker. Good find.

4/26/2011 at 10:19 PM

Unknown Profile

and ...

Sergeant William Parker are possible duplicates.

4/26/2011 at 10:26 PM

I thought I looked for duplicates. Will check these out.

4/26/2011 at 10:34 PM

Sergeant William Parker is the merged profile. It kept the nice About Me of the non MP one too (at end). There are more children who need to be verified. I'll writer to Margaret Verner who curates them, unless Private User or you want to investigate?

Private
4/27/2011 at 4:18 PM

Hattie:

I found that five of the Myers direct line ancestors were founders of Hartford, CT. before Feb 1642.

Here they are.

Founders of Hartford, Connecticut

Myers Family Connections to the Early Days of Hartford, Connecticut

Men in our family who settled in Hartford, CT before February 1640.

Their names are engraved on a monument in the Hartford Ancient Burying Ground

Thomas Bliss, Sr.

Thomas Bliss, Jr.

John Crow

Elder William Goodwin

Dr. Thomas Lord

Thomas Stanton

Also involved in the settlement of Hartford;
the wives and children.

Margaret Hulins Bliss and eight children.

Elizabeth Birchard Bliss and nine children.

Elizabeth Goodwin Crow and two children.

Elizabeth White Goodwin and one child.

Dorothy Bird Lord and eleven children

Anna Lord Stanton and ten children.

4/27/2011 at 4:41 PM

Ethel - do you want me to add these profiles to the project? I think you can do and you know which profiles they are. I can make sure the profiles are linked into the list once you drop them into the project.

I want to see if I'm related to any of these families. I just found George Stocking who I believe is related to me.

4/27/2011 at 4:42 PM

Private - Can I add you as a contributor to the project?

Private
4/28/2011 at 7:39 AM

Dear Hattie, I would be pleased to be considered a member and a contributor to this project.

I may need to funnel Source data through you or Erica.

I have been trying to add a source this morning for other ancestors.....and
am stymied with every thing I try.

Your Cousin,

Ethel

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion