A BLACK QUEEN OF ENGLAND?

Started by Kenneth Kwame Welsh, (C) on Monday, June 13, 2011
Showing all 7 posts
6/13/2011 at 10:13 PM

QUEEN CONSORT CHARLOTTE SOPHIA--A BLACK QUEEN OF ENGLAND? The African blood said to run though her veins comes from Moors in the Iberian Peninsula several generations back. Charlotte, NC, and Charlottesburg, VA, was named after her.

6/13/2011 at 10:21 PM

I meant Charlottesville, Virginia.

Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Private User
6/14/2011 at 6:50 PM

Perhaps the most literary of these allusions to her African appearance, however, can be found in the poem penned to her on the occasion of her wedding to George III and the Coronation celebration that immediately followed.

Descended from the warlike Vandal race,
She still preserves that title in her face.
Tho' shone their triumphs o'er Numidia's plain,
And and Alusian fields their name retain;
They but subdued the southern world with arms,
She conquers still with her triumphant charms,
O! born for rule, - to whose victorious brow
The greatest monarch of the north must bow.

Finally, it should be noted that the Royal Household itself, at the time of Queen Elizabeth II's coronation, referred to both her Asian and African bloodlines in an apologia it published defending her position as head of the Commonwealth.

6/14/2011 at 9:20 PM

Very nice! Where did you find it, Sophie?

2/3/2014 at 9:37 AM

In the 18th century, a painting of Queen Charlotte -- wife of the British King George III -- sparked a flurry of debate because her facial features seemed more in keeping with someone of African heritage. And with good reason: It seems that Queen Charlotte was descended from a branch of a Portuguese royal family who traced their ancestry to a 13th-century ruler named Alfonso III and his lover Madragana, who was "a Moor" ( an old term for someone of African or Arabic descent) [source: Jeffries].
Some historians cast doubt on this theory but scholar Mario de Valdes y Cocom notes that the queen's personal physician said she had a "true mulatto face." Further, the royal family spelled out its link to African ancestors in a published report released before Queen Elizabeth II's coronation in 1953, in conjunction with her position as head of the Commonwealth [source: Cocom].
If correct, the royal link to black heritage would mean that Queen Charlotte's granddaughter, Queen Victoria, was of mixed race. The same goes for her still-living descendants, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, Prince William, and any future heirs http://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/genealogy/10-peo...

5/5/2023 at 11:22 AM

I wonder if this could explain why I test a trace of at 23&me what came up first as Portuguese and was later changed to north african and finally to Somali 0.1% and coptic Egyptian of 0.2% ?

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion