Rosie The Riviter

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
7/5/2011 at 9:14 AM

Private User

We need a ref, for the project also we need to start adding profiles to the project.

Private User
7/6/2011 at 12:36 PM

Ok I will start gathering all the information I can on the girls that were "Rosies", and see what else I can find..Then get back to you.

7/6/2011 at 1:53 PM

Private User

Here's two from the wiki

The individual who was the inspiration for the song was Rosalind P. Walter, who "came from old money and worked on the night shift building the F4U Corsair fighter." Later in life Walter was a philanthropist, a board member of the WNET public television station in New York and an early and long-time supporter of the Charlie Rose interview show

Rosie the Riveter became most closely associated with another real woman, Rose Will Monroe, who was born in Pulaski County, Kentucky[9][10][11] in 1920 and moved to Michigan during World War II. She worked as a riveter at the Willow Run Aircraft Factory in Ypsilanti, Michigan, building B-29 and B-24 bombers for the U.S. Army Air Forces. Monroe achieved her dream of piloting a plane when she was in her 50's and her love of flying resulted in an accident that contributed to her death 19 years later.[4] Monroe was asked to star in a promotional film about the war effort at home. The song "Rosie the Riveter" was popular at the time,[2] and Monroe happened to best fit the description of the worker depicted in the song.[12] Rosie went on to become perhaps the most widely recognized icon of that era. The films and posters she appeared in were used to encourage women to go to work in support of the war effort.

7/6/2011 at 1:54 PM

We need a copy of the somg to attach to the project

7/6/2011 at 2:36 PM

I added four "blank" profiles to the project to get you started

7/6/2011 at 2:39 PM

Found the song(s)

Private User
7/7/2011 at 7:16 AM

The girl's I spoke of were born in eastern TX, how they ended up in Ohio at the air base is beyond me, I think Georgia Henry was married to a serviceman for KY and they were living in OH when he entered the servive, her sister Jeri Henry lived with them and worked with Georgia as a young girl in the same factory. I will have to get hold of Georgia and fine tune the details fot the project. At one time her daughter and I were going to have their names added into the national registery that exists for all of the "Rosies". I do somemore checking and see what I can find. And get back with you, now I am getting excited, I can finally be of help somewhere, and to something I am interested in. Martha

7/7/2011 at 8:40 AM

There is a lot of material on line about "Rosies" but I have yet to find a list even tho I've seen it ref a few times.

Let me know if you find it so we can get it uploaded. A complete list would have millions of names I would think. May have to break it down into smaller parts.(or something)

6/4/2017 at 6:28 PM

The photo of Rosie the Riveter is a photo of Vina Greer. She was the 1st cousin of my mom's. I don't know how to download photos on here, but her daughter sent me some.

Melanie

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion