Matching family tree profiles for Abraham Miller
About Abraham Miller
From Roberts of Washington, by Carol Carter:
Abraham Miller (b. June 18, 1841, d. May 20, 1900)
- was born June 18, 1841 in Parnell, Nodaway Co., Missouri, and
- died May 20, 1900 in Parnell, Nodaway Co., Missouri.
- He married Mary Lucy Ricketts on September 13, 1863 in Parnell, Missouri, daughter of Henry Ricketts and Mary Holden.
Notes for Abraham Miller:
Per Dan Roberts data 5/8/1995: According to Elsie Roberts Naught, the pictures of Abraham Miller and Mary Lucy Ricketts were taken in the summer of 1863, before they were married in September of that year. She said also that the dress worn by Mary "had 10 breadths of calico in the skirt. Calico then was 18 inches wide."
Family history relates that Abraham, riding a mule, along with a friend on a horse, were hunting buffalo and were attacked by Indians. This probably happened during the early 1870s. The friend escaped, but Abraham was shot with a poisoned arrow. The poison, or fever from it, affected his mind and he would do strange things, such as take a bowl of food, then wander away and leave the bowl along the road. Neighbors would find it and would pick it up and return it to Mary.
They had the last two or three children after this, and a Doctor advised Mary to leave, because Abraham might become violent. She moved to Kirwin, Kansas, and made a living for her five remaining children as a dressmaker.
He died from the effects of the poison in 1900, at the age of 58. In 1904, (probably after her father Henry died), Mary moved to Washington and took a homestead about two miles Northeast of daughter Cora and Lou Roberts. She spent her few years living with Cora and family.
More About Abraham Miller and Mary Lucy Ricketts:
- Marriage: September 13, 1863, Parnell, Missouri.
Children of Abraham Miller and Mary Lucy Ricketts are:
- 1. +Ira A Miller, b. January 13, 1867, Missouri, d. November 23, 1943, Tacoma, Washington.
- 2. +Alice E Miller, b. August 07, 1868, Missouri, d. December 26, 1955, Chickasha, Oklahoma.
- 3. +Harvey D Miller, b. January 28, 1870, Smithtwon, Nodaway Co., Missouri, d. February 15, 1937.
- 4. +Cora Edna Miller, b. February 12, 1872, Parnell, Nodaway County, Missouri, d. May 13, 1954, Mabton, Washington.
- 5. +Archie R Miller, b. January 22, 1874, Missouri, d. November 12, 1963, Carter, Oklahoma.
- 6. Leona Miller, b. August 11, 1878, d. September 09, 1879.