Historical records matching Admiral Sir Francis Geary, 1st Baronet
About Admiral Sir Francis Geary, 1st Baronet
"Francis Geary, of Polesden in Great Bookham, co. Surrey, Admiral of the White, s. of Francis Geaet, of Cheddiugton, Bucks, and Aroall Magna, Salop, by Judith, da. and h. of Robert Barber, Citizen of London, was bap. 14 Oct. 1709 ; entered the Naval Service, 1727 ; Lieut., 1734 ; Capt., 1742 ; Rear- Admiral of the White, 1758 ; Vice-Admiral of the Blue, 1762 ; and of the Red, 1770, being then Commander-in-Chief at Portsmouth ; Admiral of the Blue, 1775, and of the White, 1778 ; was for some months, in 1780, in command of the Channel Fleet, but retired from ill-health, and, having in his earlier career (though he never had the opportunity of distinguishing himself in any great action), effected several gallant captures, was cr. a Baronet, 17 Aug. 1782. He m. 20 Sep. 1748 (settlement 3 Sep.), Mary, da. of Philip Bartholomew, of Oxonhoath in West Peckham, and of West Mailing, both co. Kent, and only child by his 2d wife, Mary, da. of Leonard Thomas, of Lamberhurst, Kent. She d. 20 Aug. 1778. He d. 7 Feb. 1796, aged 86, both being bur. at Great Bookham. Will dat. 14 Feb. 1792, pr. 1 March 1796."
SOURCE: Complete baronetage; Cokayne, George E. (George Edward); 1906; Vol. V; page 225
The information below implies two sons for Francis Geary:
The History and Topographical survey of the county of Kent by Edward Hasted from BHO british history online transcript vol 12/13
John Clerke, esq. was of Ford, in the reigns of king Henry V. and VI. His son and heir John Clerke, was made second baron of the court of exchequer in the 39th year of king Henry VI. which dignity he seems to have held till the 20th year of Edward IV. anno 1479, in whose descendants, residents at Ford, it continued down to William Clerke, esq. of Ford, who was a brave and valiant gentleman, and in 1641 received the honor of knighthood, after which he manifested his loyalty to the king by raising and arming a regiment at his own charge, at the head of which he was slain, together with Sir William Boteler, in the fight between the king's forces, and those of the parliament, under Sir William Waller, at Cropredybridge, on June 29, 1644. (fn. 11)
His widow held this estate afterwards, as part of her jointure, of which she continued possessed at the restoration in 1660, and her heirs alienated it to Mr. John Know, who resided at Ford, and dying possessed of it in 1723, was buried in this church, bearing for his arms, Argent on a bend ingrailed gules, three trefoils, slipt of the first. He left an only daughter and heir Mary, who had married Philip, eldest son of Leonard Bartholomew, esq. of Oxenhoath, and dying in 1722, left two sons, Leonard Bartholomew, esq. of Oxenhoath, and John Know Bartholomew, who, by his grandfather's will, became his heir, and succeeded to this estate of Ford. He died without issue, and was succeeded in it by his brother Leonard Bartholomew, esq. of Oxenhoath, who likewise died without issue in 1757, and by his will bequeathed Ford, among the rest of his estates, to the second son, then unborn, of Sir Francis' Geary, bart. admiral of the royal navy, who had married Mary, his half sister, which son was born soon after the above devise of this estate, being the present Sir William Geary, bart. M. P. for this county, who at present owns, Ford, now only used as a farm-house, and the estate belonging to it. (fn. 12)