About Barbara Stewart
The name of Barbara Stewart's father is not known. However, because a lady named Barbara Stewart is certainly known to have married Henry Halcro of that Ilk Records of the Earldom of Orkney, and, because an otherwise unidentified lady of Halcro caused a memorial to be erected to her father Lord Adam Stewart, it is generally accepted that Barbara Stewart is the daughter of Lord Adam Stewart: "domina de halcro filia ejusdem." Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, May 12th 1919: Some further Orkney Armorials, page 186
According to Genealogics, Barbara Stewart is the daughter of Adam Stewart and his wife Janet Ruthven, and her baptism was registered at Perth on 18 January 1561, although it is not clear where this information came from. Genealogics: Barbara Stewart
Barbara Stewart married Henry Halcro of that Ilk. Records of the Earldom of Orkney
Barbara Stewart was the daughter of Adam Stewart,illegitimate son of King James V [Tombstone in St Magnus Cathedral] Barbara married Henry Halcro in 1580.(There are several refs to Henry Halcro of that ilk eg 1584,1597,1599 and 1600.His son Hew was called fiar of that ilk in 1604 and 1605 but in 1608 he was called Hew Halcro of that ilk ie Henry was dead by then) Their son Hew died in 1644 Latter's son Hew younger dvp in 1637 and Hew younger's son Hew died in Feb 1666 dsp. [https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/eyl--BS7w50]
Some Source References
- 3. Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 600.
- 4. Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 679.
- The Scots peerage : founded on Wood's ed. of Sir Robert Douglas's Peerage of Scotland; containing an historical and genealogical account of the nobility of that kingdom. by Paul, James Balfour, Sir, 1846-1931. Published 1904. Volume 6. "The Earls of Orkney" page 572 - 573, page 574 - 575
- A collection of armorials of the County of Orkney: being drawings of armorial bearings from tombstones, wood carvings, seals &c., with extracts from the Lyon Registers, and genealogical notes compiled from public records and other sources. Henry L. Norton Smith. The author, 1902 - Heraldry - 182 pages. page 61
- [S02729] Ancestors of Sven-Göran (Svennis) Eriksson, 2008, Sjöberg, Johan. nr.15353
- [S02937] Robert Stewart, Earl of Orkney, Lord of Shetland 1533-1593 1982, Anderson, Peter D.
- [S03011] Life of Mary, queen of Scots , Bell, Henry Glassford.