Brig. Gen. Diego Ruperto Archuleta, (USA)

Is your surname Archuleta?

Research the Archuleta family

Brig. Gen. Diego Ruperto Archuleta, (USA)'s Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Brig. Gen. Diego Ruperto Archuleta, (USA)

Birthplace: Los Luceros, Rio Arriba, Nuevo México, Mexico
Death: March 22, 1884 (69)
Santa Fe, Santa Fe County, New Mexico Territory, United States (Pneumonia aggravated by a disorder of the heart.)
Place of Burial: Santa Fe, Santa Fe County, New Mexico, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Juan Andrés Archuleta and María Margarita Antonia Lucero
Husband of María Felipa de Jesús Archuleta
Father of Juan Rafael Senario Archuleta; María Margarita de Guadalupe Archuleta; José Luis Xavier Archuleta; Flavia Marina Lucero; María Aurelia de los Dolores Archuleta and 5 others
Brother of José Antonio Archuleta; María de los Reyes Archuleta; José Eugenio Archuleta; José Panteleon Archuleta; Agapita de Dolores Salazar and 2 others

Occupation: Soldier for both Mexico (Mexican American War, Taos Rebellion), and the United States (Union Army), New Mexico Territorial Legislator, Indian Agent
Managed by: Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert
Last Updated:

About Brig. Gen. Diego Ruperto Archuleta, (USA)

Brigadier General Diego Archuleta (March 27, 1814 – 1884), was a member of the Mexican Congress. He joined the Mexican Army to fight against the United States in the Mexican American War. Later, he was appointed an Indian (Native Americans) Agent by President Abraham Lincoln, and joined the Union Army (US Army) during the American Civil War. Archuleta became the first Hispanic to reach the military rank of Brigadier General.


From the New Mexican Hispanic Culture Preservation League - LA VERDAD CON ORGULLO - Volume 11, No.9 Sept. 2009

DIEGO ARCHULETA (3/27/1814-3/21/1884), by Orae Dominguez

Diego Archuleta, as a boy went to Durango, Nuevo Espania with (Fr.) Antonio Jose Martinez to study for the priesthood. In his eight years of education he received four minor orders requisite for becoming a priest but it was not to be his vocation. He graduated from the Chapultepec Military Academy in Mexico City and followed a military career. In 1840 the Mexican government commissioned him captain of the New Mexico militia. When Texas invaded NM he commanded a body of troops and assisted in the capture of the Texans. The Texans then hated and remembered this New Mexican.

In 1843 he was elected a deputy to the National Mexican Congress from New Mexico, and served with honor for two years. In recognition of his Distinguished services as an officer of the Mexican army he was decorated with the golden Cross of Honor and presented with a diploma or certificate declaratory of his valiant conduct in preserving the integrity of Mexican territory.

When the United States of America invaded the small villages of New Mexico Diego Archuleta counseled the governor Manuel Armijo to accept the terms of surrender sparing NM of needless bloodshed and destruction of their food supplies. For a Catholic to go to war “there must be serious prospects of success”.[1]

Governor Bent added Diego’s name to a list of influential people he feared could give him trouble and wanted locked up. When the army went to his country home to arrest him his neighbors gathered around his house preventing his arrest. Colonel Price later avenged the hatred of the Texans by burning Diego’s home in Los Luceros to ashes destroying the finest private library in all New Mexico. The people arrested on the list were later released due to a lack of evidence.

In 1857 Colonel Archuleta was United States Indian agent for the Southern Utes and the Apaches, which position he held for five years. In 1861 he was placed at the head of a regiment of auxiliaries, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, and was stationed for a time at Fort Union, and again, Abraham Lincoln, appointed him Indian agent for the Utes, Apaches and Jicarrillas. In the same year he was commissioned brigadier general by Governor Henry Connelly.

For 14 years he was a member of the legislative assembly of the Territory of New Mexico. He was a candidate for the 37th Congress of the United States. He was the first man to transport a family carriage across the Great Plains.

He was the son of Juan Andres Archuleta, a prominent and wealthy citizen of Rio Arriba, and Margarita Antonia Lucero de Godoy, in 1841 was married to Jesusita Trujillo, and there were seven children of this union.

He died at Santa Fe, while a member of the Legislative Assembly of 1884, of heart failure. On the 20th of March, while engaged in his duties as a member of the legislature, on the floor of the house, he was taken suddenly ill. He was taken to the home of don Rafael Lopez, where he was stopping, and on the following day rallied considerably, and a very important measure being under consideration in the House he was assisted to his accustomed seat in order to cast his vote. He remained only long, enough to perform this duty and was taken to his apartments, where the utmost care and attention were shown him; every known medical treatment was brought to bear on his case but, despite all efforts he continued to sink and grow worse until death came to his relief.

The House of Representatives met and adjourned after passing appropriate resolutions and designating proper committees to look after the details of the funeral obsequies. The council also met and passed similar resolutions. His remains were removed to the hall of the society of St. Francis; thence they were taken to the Church of our Lady of Guadalupe, where mass was said, when they were again removed to the St. Francis Hall, being finally taken to the hall of the House of Representatives, where they lay in state until the day of the funeral. On the day of the funeral native and American citizens alike assembled in vast numbers, performing the last honor to the distinguished statesman. The Procession which followed the remains to their last resting place in the Catholic cemetery was one of the largest ever seen in the city.[2]


  • 2. MILITARY OCCUPATION OF NEW MEXICO by Twichell Ralfe Emerson, pp. 239- 247


From The Albuquerque Morning Journal of Sunday, March 23, 1884:

Death of a Member

The Hon. Diego Archuleta, member of the House of Representatives from Rio Arriba County, whose serious illness was announced in The Journal some days ago, died at his room in Santa Fe at an early hour yesterday morning. He was afflicted with a complication of diseases, but the immediate cause of his death was pneumonia aggravated by a disorder of the heart. He had been ailing for several days, but was not thought to be dangerous 'til Thursday; that morning he was very imprudently taken from his bed and carried to the House, to secure his vote for the capitol appropriation bill. This exposure undoubtedly hastened his end, if it was not, indeed, the cause of his death.

Senor Archuleta was a conspicuous figure in the politics of the Territory, and was in many respects a remarkable man. He was a connecting link between the new and old in New Mexico.Before the acquisition of this Territory by the United States, he represented the district in the Congress of Mexico, and since that time has always taken a prominent part in the political affairs of the Territory, being an earnest and conscientious Republican. He had exceeded by a number of years the allotted "three score and ten" and had taken a prominent and conspicuous part in the affairs of New Mexico for more than half a century. He died in his post, honored and respected by the people of the whole territory.


From the Las Vegas (NM) Daily Gazette of Sunday, March 23, 1884:

Both houses met this morning at the usual time, and upon information of the death of Hon. Diego Archuleta, member of the lower house from Rio Arriba, passed fitting resolutions and adjourned until Monday.

Don Diego Archuleta was 70 years old ad had seen very active service in public affairs. He twice represented the people of Rio Arriba in the Mexican congress before the American occupation in 1846, and had been 14 years a member of the New Mexico legislature. In 1846 he was made commander of military forces against the United States, and after the close of the war an attempt was made to fasten upon him the charge of treason. This failed, however, for the very apparent reason that this was not then Union soil, although many of the inhabitants had voluntarily sworn allegiance to the temporaro government established by Brigadier General Kearney. We cannot fail to recall the words of the dead representative in reference to the amendment to the educational bill concerning non-sectarian teachings, which occurred in the house 10 days ago. Mr. Archuleta was in usual health at that time. He said: "In the natural order of things, I shall probably go hence before any of you, and I state to you here that I am not afraid to go before my God, having supported this amendment to keep sectarianism from our public schools. There is no sect in heaven." Hadley.


view all 14

Brig. Gen. Diego Ruperto Archuleta, (USA)'s Timeline

March 27, 1814
Los Luceros, Rio Arriba, Nuevo México, Mexico
November 1, 1841
Los Luceros, Rio Arriba, Nuevo México, Mexico
September 21, 1843
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba, Nuevo México, Mexico
April 7, 1846
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba, Nuevo México, Mexico
February 13, 1847
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba, New Mexico Territory, United States
February 25, 1851
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico Territory, United States
August 17, 1852
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico Territory, United States
July 2, 1855
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico Territory, United States
January 22, 1857
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico Territory, United States
September 15, 1859
Los Angeles, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico Territory, United States