|Birthplace:||Seamore Place, Mayfair, London, England|
|Death:||Died in Tottenham Park|
Son of Thomas Brudenell-Bruce, 1st Earl of Ailesbury and Susannah Brudenell-Bruce
|Managed by:||Michael Lawrence Rhodes|
Historical records matching Charles Brudenell-Bruce, 1st Marquess of Ailesbury
About Charles Brudenell-Bruce, 1st Marquess of Ailesbury
Charles Brudenell-Bruce, 1st Marquess of Ailesbury, KT (14 February 1773 – 4 January 1856), styled The Honourable Charles Brudenell-Bruce from birth until 1776, Lord Bruce from 1776 to 1814 and The Earl of Ailesbury from 1814 to 1821, was a British peer and politician.
Brudenell-Bruce was the third son of Thomas Brudenell-Bruce, 1st Earl of Ailesbury and his first wife, Susanna, but his brothers died early.
In 1792, he joined the Berkshire Militia as an Ensign and was promoted as a Colonel in the Wiltshire Yeomanry in 1797.
From 1796 he was Member of Parliament for Marlborough until he inherited his father's titles in 1814. He was made a Knight of the Thistle in 1819 and made Marquess of Ailesbury in 1821, with many other peers for the occasion of George IV's coronation.
On 10 April 1793, Brudenell-Bruce had married Hon. Henrietta Hill, daughter of Noel Hill. They had five children:
- Lady Maria Caroline Anne (1794–1835), married the Count of Mandreville.
- Lady Augusta Frederica (1795–1869), married Frederick Wentworth.
- George William Frederick, later 2nd Marquess of Ailesbury (1804–1878)
- Lady Elizabeth (1807–1847), married Count Christian Danneskiold-Samsøe.
- Lord Ernest Augustus Charles, later 3rd Marquess of Ailesbury (1811–1886)
After his wife's death in 1831, Brudenell-Bruce married Maria Tollemache (a granddaughter of the 7th Countess of Dysart) and they had one son, Lord Charles William (1834–1897). On his death in 1856, his titles passed to his eldest son, George.
Charles Brudenell-Bruce 1773 - 1856
- Birth: Feb 14 1773 Seamore Place, Mayfair, London, England
- Baptism: Feb 24 1773 St. George's Church, St. George Street, Hanover Square, Mayfair, London, England
- Charles /Bruce of Tottenham/ Wiltshire: [G.B., 1746]
- Charles /of Ailesbury/ Buckinghamshire: [G.B., 1776]
- Charles /Bruce of Whorlton/ co. York: [U.K.]
- Charles /Savernake/ of Savernake Forest, Wiltshire: [U.K.]
- Charles /of Ailesbury/ Buckinghamshire: [U.K.]
- Marriage: Marriage to: Marchioness Henrietta Maria Brudenell-Bruce (born Hill)
- Apr 10 1793 Florence, Italy
- Office: M.P. for Marlborough Between 1796 and 1814
- Mil-Rank: Colonel||Wiltshire Yeomanry 1797
- Mil-Rank: Colonel||Wiltshire Militia 1811
- Invest: Knight, Order of the Thistle (K.T.) May 20 1819
- Marriage: Marriage to: Marchioness Maria Elizabeth Brudenell-Bruce (born Tollemache)
- Aug 20 1833 Ham House, Petersham, Surrey, England
- Probate: July 1856
- Death: Jan 4 1856 Tottenham Park
- Burial: Jan 12 1856 Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, England
Charles Brudenell-Bruce, 1st Marquess of Ailesbury's Timeline
February 14, 1773
November 20, 1804
April 14, 1807
January 8, 1811
June 18, 1834
January 4, 1856